Good morning from Alabama!

ddj712

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, AL
Hi! I'm new to this board and to chickens in general. My husband went out deer hunting the weekend before Christmas and came home with a rooster. It simply appeared on the hood of his truck in the middle of 750 acres of woods. Thus began my life with chickens.

After some work converting an old goat house to a coop and adding a run, my neighbor graciously gave us four hens to keep the rooster company. Best I can tell, the roo is a Speckled Sussex, one hen is a young white leghorn, two hens are black sex links, and another young black hen is probably a mix. I was reluctant to keep the rooster at first, but this is turning in to a great hobby for me and I'm really having fun! I look forward to gaining knowledge and support from this group!

Thanks! I searched online through an alphabetical list of breeds and of course he was near the end! He's a really cool dude. Sweet and docile. I imagine someone was missing him, but I posted to a local lost and found group and had no responses. He's got a good home now, though!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like your husband was in the right place at the right time!! I am glad he was able to rescue him.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping your new flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us!

Beautiful rooster! Good luck with your chickens! Please feel free to ask any questions that you have. We'll be happy to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Black Sex Links are my favorite chickens; hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom