Good morning from Central California!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kaytracy, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Kaytracy

Kaytracy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Hello all, Kay here from the central valley.
    I finally decided that I was tired of buying eggs of dubious quality and age, so, I have boughten myself five little hen chicks, who are diligently feathering out under their heat lamp.
    I fear I am not a breed specific person, though in a couple years I might like to try and get some Icelandics.

I am working on a little yard tractor for the girls when they are big enough, and a small coop house to keep them safe and out of trouble. I will do up some pics as I build the things if anyone is interested, I think I have spent about $18 so far on the materials, with just the screen netting left to pick up for the tractor. At 6 feet by 2 feet, it should be okay for my few girls to tidy up around the yard, and entertain the cats!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kaytracy, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! You sound ready to go with your chickens. Best of luck and have fun!!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Is it your tractor that is 2x6 feet? You may be surprised to find that that is pretty small for 5 birds - your little chicks will increase in size amazingly. For a coop you will want 4 square feet of floor space per bird, or 20 square feet. That may sound like a lot but is only 4'x5'.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I agree with the above. More is definitely merrier when it comes to space for chickens. For a coop 4 sqf per chicken is good and for a run aim for 10 sqf per chicken.

5. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kaytracy

Kaytracy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    Thanks, for the tips on sizing!
    I have an awkward backyard, and so i want the "grass/weed" maintenance ability, and that means a bit smaller on the pull around, they may just have to take turns!
    I have a corner that will get their coop and solid yard, and that area will be about 10x12 feet as a minimum. Maybe a bit bigger if I can maneuver around the tree! The neighbors have hens that go wandering, and I do not want mine to get any ideas!
    I think I still have a couple weeks yet, they are just starting to get"real feathers" on the wings, and teeny tiny little tails!
    I did find that taking the chick starter and grinding it up a bit lets them eat more instead of just playing with it! There is less on the floor and more in their little crops now!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from Modesto!

10. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by