Good morning from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Annie C, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Annie C

Annie C New Egg

Sep 26, 2016
    OKC, OK
    Hello! My name is Annie and I'm new to chicken raising. I have 3 chickens and I got them to enjoy as pets. They don't live inside even though I raised them inside in a big plastic tub. I got them in the last few days of February at a hardware store near OKC. My granddaughter and I were just going to look and I walked out a chicken owner about 30 minutes later. What a pushover!
    My grandparents had chickens. That was my introduction to chickens and I have loved them ever since. However, I have found that loving them and successfully raising them are 2 different things. I tend to be a bit of a free spirit and because of this have found that I might not be as success at doing what I need to do for them as I should. So I've come on here to 1. See if others might be as less rigid as I am and 2. How to fix some of my/their issues before winter sets in. The only place I'm getting some advice is at a nearby grain and feed store and I'm beginning to think they aren't giving me the best advice so I came here and I know I will be glad I did.
    FYI, I have 3 different breeds and, therefore, different personalities and habits. I have one Transylvanian Naked Neck, or Turken, named Talullah, one Light Brahma, named Beulah, and one Buff Orphington named Ducky. Obvi, I got to name 2 (because I picked them out) and the granddaughter named hers... because she thought her chicken looked more like a duck to her than a chick. What can I say? She's 5.
    My Turken is by far the sweetest and best egg layer. If could have a whole crop of them, if I would. They are all divas. My Turken and BO are my only egg layers, with my BO only recently to start laying. My Turken has been laying since about 15 weeks old! (We didn't eat them.)
    Ok. That's enough for now. Sorry to be so verbose. I obviously don't get enough human or adult interaction. Lol!!

1 person likes this.
  2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Annie, congratulations on your new flock! You've come to the best place ever to learn what you need to give your birds a good life. Lots of helpful, nice members here and the Learning Center is full of excellent articles covering a wide range of topics...check it out!

Good luck to you, it's nice to have you join us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Annie, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! From your description I'd say you're about "middle of the road" when it comes to your take on chicken keeping. Some on BYC treat them as members of the family with all the rights and privileges therein, others as any other farm animal in the barnyard. But we all share an appreciation for poultry! So, what are your winter concerns? Chickens are pretty tough - with the Oklahoma heat likely are bigger concern than the cold. But ask away! And thanks for joining!! [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Annie

Glad you could join us here! I have really enjoyed reading your intro and getting to know more about you and your flock. You have some lovely breeds there and I wish you the very best of luck with them in the future.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chickens chat :frow

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ugh... don't trust anything farm store employees say. A knowledgable feed store employee is a like a unicorn - I've seen no proof they exist.

2 people like this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Annie. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens [​IMG]

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there! Welcome to Backyard chickens! Quite the introduction there, I am pretty sure somewhere near 44% of chicken raisers just ''walked in to a feed store to look and came out with some fuzzballs''. I hear that story all the time. If you would like to ask your winter questions, I have a winter thread that I am trying to get started, you are welcome to join!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ks-for-coping-the-elements-with-your-chickens
    Also, don't forget to say hello to the Oklahoma peeps!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/501128/okies-in-the-byc-iii

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by