Good Morning from the great state of Oklahoma!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AnnieOK, Dec 31, 2011.

1. AnnieOK

AnnieOK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Southcentral Oklahoma
    Hello all!

Just found this group this morning, and am excited to join! Don't have any chicks now; haven't had any of my own ever; I remember my grandparents always had chickens and we never bought eggs from the store when I was growing up. They lived on the farm, and we lived in town but were out here all the time. Now, in my later years, I am back home where I belong, on the family farm. The chicken coop (henhouse) is still here, though it will need some reinforcing. I currently use the old chicken coop as the feed room for the goats. (two wethers, one girl--just pets) I know for a fact that something gets in there and gets into the goat feed, so I will need to shore it all up to make it varmit-proof.

I've been back on the farm for about 4 years; I work full-time on the night (7p-7a) shift at a local hospital, and sleep during the day, so I haven't been as productive as I would like to be. But I am resolved to make good use of this wonderful home I have now in the country; it was always my dream to come back to the farm, and I want to be as self-sufficient as possible, and want to eat as healthy as possible. Have been eating 'local' as much as possible the past couple of years, and intend to begin to raise more of my own food. Which means to me, at this time, chickens for eggs, and a garden.

I know I'll have tons of questions, from which chickens to buy, to how to protect them from predators, and on and on. So glad to have found you guys. Happy New Year everybody!

Annie from Oklahoma

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG] where do you hail from in OK ??.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG] from Long Island!

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. AnnieOK

AnnieOK Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Southcentral Oklahoma
    al6517, from SouthCentral, Turner Falls/Arbuckle area. Glad to see neighbors here. [​IMG]

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

8. Yogi_Bear

Yogi_Bear New Egg

Dec 31, 2011
    [​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:It sure is pretty down that way.

10. what's kickin' chicken

what's kickin' chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Missouri