Good Morning my fellow BYC citizens.

Bird Friendly

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
I'm really happy to have found this site, even if the reason for my web search isn't as happy.

My bird, Chicken Mole, passed away this morning. I am really upset that my lovely bird passed away. I didn't think I would be this upset, but I am.

I am also concerned about my remaining flock: 3 hens, 1 rooster. They look fine. Although Chicken Mole's sister is being bullied by the other hens.

Chicken Mole became lethargic yesterday evening; my wife, Michelle, noticed that she had been having watery stools earlier in the day but didn't think anything of it.

Should I be concerned about the rest of the flock?

We also have 4 dogs, 1 puppy (10 weeks), and a cat. Do you folks think that my non-bird companions be transmitted whatever killed Chicken Mole?

What about my human family; can we get sick as well?

Thanks for your feedback.

Linda

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry you lost a hen this morning.
hugs.gif
It is never easy to lose them.

Was this hen very thin that passed today? The reason I ask is that you say another hen has watery stool. They could all have worms. Have you wormed your flock recently? An overload of worms will suck the life right out of birds and kill them in no time.

Most diseases are host specific, which means you cannot catch what they have and visa versa.

You might also post more info about your hen with the watery diarrhea in our emergency section for more help...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

As for the bullies, make sure you have enough room in your coop and run. Give them things to do to keep them from getting too bored and if you have to, cage the bully for a while to help re adjust their attitudes. If nothing seems to work, you can use pinless peepers on the bully to stop the aggression.

Good luck with your flock. I hope you can get this hen all healed up soon.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your hen!!
hugs.gif

For the bullies the best way to prevent picking is to increase their space. Also, boredom busters and hideaways are good too.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry about your hen.
hugs.gif
Hopefully, the rest of your flock remains healthy! TwoCrows gave you good advice.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! X3 on TwoCrow's advice.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about Chicken Mole. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. Your family won't get sick from the illnesses that afflict your chickens for the reasons that TwoCrows stated. Definitely follow her advice with regard to de-worming and posting on our emergency link where you can take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with the rest of your flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom