good morning skunk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamato3, Nov 3, 2008.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    I was awaken at 5 am to the yummy smell of skunk. It must have sprayed under our house because it still stinks in here ive got fan running and all the windows open and all the kids are running around in sweats to stay warm. As long as i stay inside i get used to the smell but once i go out and come in you can smell it. I can smell it going up the steps. Frebreze does not get rid of skunk smell lol ive tried that all morning. Im more worried for my chicken know that i know we have a skunk nearby. Thats one animal i dont want to trap or kill

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Remember one thing about skunks - they are shy and won't go near your chickens unless there is a momma with babies and she thinks they are in danger. More than likely something scared the peewaddin outta that skunk last night. You need to take a bucket with some water and Dawn dishwashing soap - skunk spray is oily. LOTS of soap - wear a mask and scrub where you think it happened. You will see it - trust me. HAHAHA! I have had to Dawn a dog, a cat, a car and a child.

3. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    We had a skunk move into our yard last year. We'd been "adopted" by a cat (that then had 8 kittens on our porch), and it found the cat food in the garage. Ate lots of cat food, left the kittens alone. We were surprised. I'd always been told that skunks were more like raccoons, shred-your-animals kind of predators. Apparently this one wasn't interested.

Make sure your feed, etc is closed up, and skunks will likely leave you alone.

They dig, too, so if the stories I was told earlier are true, it's good caution to bury chicken wire about 1-2ft down to deter them from digging into your pen/run/coop area.

4. debilorrah

Skunks are so misunderstood. Googled skunks as pets and see what they are really like. I just wish they didn't smell so bad!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always wanted a skunk as a pet. Around our farm we let them go unless they are out during the day acting strangely. A mama had her babies in my husbands farm shop this spring. Cute little buggers. I thought about "skunk-napping" one of those, but didn't. Last winter I had one living under the floor of my one chicken house. Only time I minded was when one of my cats or dogs annoyed him/her and she let loose and even my eggs smelled skunky for a few days just from being in the coop. In all the years I've had chickens I've never had a skunk attack any. This morning when I took the house dog out for her morning piddle there was one in the cow lot diggin up cow pies looking for grubs. I think they get a bad rap a lot of times. I think the ones around here have come to an agreement with my dogs not to bother each other for the most part.

6. debilorrah

If you get them prior to 6 weeks old any vet can remove that gland. They are needy, like chihuahua's and small dogs are needy. They love you cuddle next to your skin under your shirt and stay like that for hours. They are very loveable, people oriented animals. I have wanted one for years!

7. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Put me on the list of always wanting one for a pet. A coworker offered me one that he live trapped in the spring, thought he was kidding - just recently found out he was serious. [​IMG] He says that even de-glanded they still smell skunk y though....

8. debilorrah

Quote:That is why you have to get that gland removed when they are very young. Once it is fully developed, there is no taking that odor away.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I seriously thought about taking one of them.....he found them as she was giving birth so I would have had the opportunity to sneak one out when she was out hunting at night when they were a little older.

10. debilorrah

Oh man, do you know how rare of an opportunity that was?? The whole 8 weeks of bottle feeding would be worth it. They are so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by