Good Morning! Well it is my time anyway.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hd54longrange, Oct 11, 2016.

1. hd54longrange

hd54longrange Just Hatched

Oct 10, 2016
    Victorville, CA
    The suns coming up and so did I so it is a good day. Good morning from the southern California Mojave Desert. Just joined. Wife and I want to start a coop but wondering if its too late in the year to get it going. Have an area of an old horse stall I was going to close in to make a coop. Thinking it might be too late. Any advise would be appreciated. Any possible sources of chickens to get started would be appreciated as well.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. No reason not to start on your coop. I live on the equator, so i am not best placed to advise on whether to get chickens at this time of year, but i would certainly give getting chicks a miss (it may be difficult to get them at this time of year - not sure).

Some other members will be along to advise further, I'm sure.

Best wishes
    CT

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! Good morning to you too! Even though its not too late to get chicks from a hatchery it might be harder to keep them warmer than in the spring and summer.

MyPetChicken is a good place to get chicks and older chickens too, here is the link:
    http://www.mypetchicken.com/

Hope this helps, have a great time on here! [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased to have you aboard. The above posters are correct. Most hatcheries except the biggies have shut 'er down for the year but some may still have baby chicks til November. Murray McMurray out of Iowa comes to mind. Selection in terms of breed will not be what it is earlier in the year. They all start up again in February. If you hurry you may still be able to secure some! Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC! :)

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am glad you are considering getting some peeps! The hatchery I got my chicks from is still shipping them out, I have been very, very happy with them. I used Meyer, here is a link to them: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/get_subcat.a5w?cat=1020. If you did get chicks this time of year, you would just need to keep them inside. I hope you enjoy BYC!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Not too late in the year at all, especially for ya'll down south of me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by