Good Morning y'all!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Pinoyfisher, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Pinoyfisher

Pinoyfisher New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Just joined after doing a Google search on "raising chickens at home". Trying to do some thorough research work to help me decide if I'm really capable of raising chickens.

First things first:

About me

I live in San Diego, Penasquitos to be exact. I work for a local biotech company. Married with 2 twin 18m old boys. Kinda have a green thumb. The wife and I are concerned about what we feed our boys and would like to have "organic" eggs.

My backyard

I literally live right next to a canyon, so, I'd have to contend with skunks, opossums, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, raccoons, rats, various birds of prey, crows, ravens and snakes. Did I miss any more predators? I do have neighbors right behind me and to the left of me. There's a school right across the street from me. I'm not aware of any regulations or codes for keeping chickens, so, if someone who lives in my area could chime in on any they know of, it would make my research go smoother [​IMG]

I'm slowly going through the forums on how to prep for chickens if I do decide to get some, but here is so much info out there. Anyone have some basics they want to throw at me?

Thanks!!

Mike

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Make sure to check out the BYC Learning Center.

If you have a town council, you could check with them about any chicken regulations. And there are ways to secure your coop and run to deter predators.

Good luck! Keeping chickens is great fun.

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG] From Ohio!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Southwest Ohio

5. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Hello and welcome Mike! You can check on this site for your cities rules on keeping chickens. It used to be so much easier with the old web site I think! Keeping chickens in your backyard is wonderful! You will need a secure coop and run for them. You will want to educate yourself on raising them from chicks. The catalog from Murray McMurray hatchery has a wealth of information on starting chicks. You can request one from their website.

Good luck and [​IMG] I am also in Southern California, in Alhambra.

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I say you can really do it, daily chores can take less than 10 minutes daily, however, on my days off work, I routinely hang out checking feeders, waterers, collecting eggs, and observing my flock.

I was telling one of my coworkers today, that I let my chickens out in to their pen when I have to work that day (enclosed due to predators), with the pull of the hatch. I then get home after dark and shut everyone back in (in case of break in to pen at night). I collect eggs, check food and water (usually okay on 2-3 day stretches while I work). Really, daily care can be that simple if you are careful on how you set it up and prepare for days when you don't have time to be with them by keeping extra waterers that can be just taken into pen to replace the ones that have been used.

We have a 5 and 6 year old and we waited until last year to get birds, but now that i have them, realize we could have handled them sooner.

Hope that helps, good luck, you will love it, nothing better than fresh eggs, especially when they can freerange or get good healthy grass/treats with good food.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by