Good Morning~

Yvette In SoCal

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2020
Hello Everyone. My name is Yvette and I'm from Orange County, California. Super happy to be here! In short, I have been wanting to raise back yard chickens for well over a decade, but the timing was not right. Then, when I was ready to proceed, NewCastle hit. I waited for that to conclude in our area, and then Covid hit. Having just (safely) visited a dear friend in Escondido, I got to meet her flock and it was so enjoyable. Got to hold her Silkie (what a sweetheart) and of course share some mealworms with new feathered friends. We talked at length about her journey, what she's learnt, and I was able to ease a lot of concerns my husband and I have had. We're ready to move forward, and I'm here to learn, get inspired, learn more, and meet new friends. I'd love to know, as you look back at your journey, what is the *one* thing you'd do differently? Be well.:frow

:welcome

Hi Yvette, make yourself at home here! The one thing I would have done differently starting off is to be sure I get chicks from a reputable source. I bought my first chicks because I felt sorry for the terrible conditions they were in and then had to go through losses due to illnesses.

Thanks for joining!

Hi Yvette and welcome to BYC. I think training my flock not to crap on the veranda would have been a good idea - DW was not a happy bunny :thHere are some helpful links:

• Great go-to resource - Articles
  • Space requirements
  • Find other BYC members nearby using the links in my signature, below (turn your phone to landscape to see them).
Best wishes

Pork Pie

:welcome Hello from Nova Scotia and welcome to BYC! You’ve joined a great and resourceful community! Enjoy your journey!
Great question to start with - I’m new to chicken keeping as of May this year. I agree with @DobieLover (walk in coop from the start) and @sourland bigger than you’ll think you need. Chicken math is real and it’s serious lol

Back
Top Bottom