1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good neighbor story

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I was using my drill, putting some "curtains" up over the openings in the duck house in anticipation of windy rain tonight. My neighbor was walking her new puppy and came over to see if everything was okay. She reminded me that if the winds get really strong, I need to get my babies into the storm shelter in the basement. What a wonderful woman! [​IMG] She brings them greens, and brings her grandchildren over to visit sometimes.

Any other good neighbors out there?

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Definitely one of mine. Actually both sets of neighbors are nice, but Tammy is one of the nicest neighbors anybody could ever hope to have. Two of my chickens are her favorites and she occasionally puts sunflower seeds out for them in her front yard. Willow & Dixie know their names and they jump the fence when Tammy calls them for them to come get their treats. She also "chicken-sits" whenever I have to go out-of-town or on vacation.

We were both outside working in our yards a few months ago when a freak wind storm came up and she came running to help me get the chickens locked up in the coops.

There's so many people with horrible neighbors, so I think it's a good thing to have a thread honoring the ones that are a pleasure to have.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  3. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Mine is fantastic. She works from home and keeps and eye on my place. We've been having a fox problem (well I've been having more of the problem) and she has chased it off several times when I haven't been home. Unfortunately it has managed to systematically wipe out over half my flock. [​IMG] (Hotwire has since solved that problem.)
    The other day the fox decided to go in with my horses. So my neighbor called the game warden. But since it was on my land he couldn't do anything without me giving permission. And she couldn't do anything for the same reason. But now that they both have it the next time the fox is around bothering my critters it is gone. Either the warden will shoot it or my neighbor's son will. The poor fox looks like it has mange (hence its voracious appetite) but we will have it sent out for rabies testing.
    It is so nice to have someone who does keep an eye out. She really likes my animals and comes over to visit the horses and goats. She wants chickens of her own but is afraid her little Min Pin would be worse than the fox has been.

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Ours are great. They all think it is hilarious that we have ducks. One comes and duck sits when we are away. Their tween daughter came and played with them during the day during her summer break.

Our other neighbors only found out we had ducks when one decided to fly over the fence and go visit. They had never seen a muscovy before and their kids got to learn all about her. Now the kids jump on the trampoline to see them and peek through the fence.

The woman behind us wanted us to take in some ducks her friend hatched in the classroom. We didn't have room but I was glad to know that she doesn't mind the sunrise wake up call from the pekin.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Are there any houses for sale near you guys? I have the complete opposite my delightful new neighbours tried to get my ducks stoned by blowing smoke through the fence then decided to pour beer in their water the ducks have since been re-sited to a part of the garden away from them. Also had the council on my back as they'd had a complaint about my dog barking all night which was sorted when I pointed out my dog doesn't live three doors down where the barking was coming from! We had sold the house when the buyers came round to measure up and next doors bbq guests were shouting abuse over the fence about paying for my kids off benefits with their hard earned tax money? We have never been on benefits my husband and I pay more tax than most of them put together we wouldn't have had kids if we couldn't pay for them. The buyers backed out of course so we're now going to rent it out so we can move asap hopefully we can find some tenants that'll give them a run for their money!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    mrslb333, sad to read about the neighbor problems. Let's hope to get some more good neighbor stories so you can have something to look forward to when you move![​IMG]

There are many helpful neighbors in the world.

7. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    I have a fantastic neighbour who comes to give my ducks and chickens green treats from her garden and also quite happy to feed them when I am away, she get to collect and keep the eggs of course. We exchange lots of things over the fence and they even washed the outside of my house once...

8. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    Our neighbors have really surprised us with their reactions to our ducks. We had to bring one home from "the farm" to rehabilitate her because she had an injured leg, and she got out of the fence. Our neighbor came over and rang the doorbell to let us know, because the people down the street have some big dogs that they let run loose, and she (our neighbor) didn't want the duck to get injured by the dogs. They've also told us that they miss our noisy geese in the back yard (we raised the geese at home until they were large enough to move to the farm). While I completely agree that the geese were fun to have at home, they started getting too smelly and noisy for our residential back yard lol. I guess I'm just surprised to see other people who appreciate the poultry...they've even told us they would like to try some duck eggs lol!

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    We had a really bad storm about a week ago and my most of my neigbors fence fell down. Our backyard is basically just one very large yard now, and I spoke with him about my chickens and how I like to let them free range. I also apologized because I knew they had been going in his yard too. He smiled and said he liked to watch them and that they are neat.

I don't think he has any animals at all, and I thought this was pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm in the burbs and have great neighbors on all 3 sides, well and almost all of the neighbors on the street. Once a chicken got into my neighbor Faris' yard he guarded it till I got home from work. On the other side Jack kept his dog inside till I got home. So I'm 2 for 2 on escapees. Several of my neighbors will give me food for them, and it's about time for Faris to start tossing apples into the yard. He thinks my 4 hens will eat 50 lbs of apples a year in about 2 weeks. I just thank him and pick them up when he's not looking. All my neighbors know I have a wood stove so all of them save any burnable wood for me. I have yet needed to buy wood in 14 years.
    It is kind of like 1950's Mayberry here on this street. We mostly all know one another, when someone is sick their yardwork gets done, animals get fed. On vacation, don't even need to ask for a housesitting- it will get offered. Car in the shop, you'll get a ride. Rocky the lawnmower man will fix your yard equipment for free. etc etc etc. Yeah I like where I live.

Imp

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by