1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good neighbors!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kasilofchrisn, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    So I read a lot on here about problems with people's neighbors.
    Either an unrestrained dog that threatens our birds or neighbors that complain about our birds and their noise etc. etc.
    Well I figure it's time for some good neighbor stories so here's mine:
    My neighbor I met at a meeting of my gold prospectors club.
    He's a pretty nice guy.
    Last summer I talked him into buying some of my custom made surfcast sinkers.( I have a hobby business selling fishing jigs and sinkers.)
    So last month I see him at the store and he wants a couple of sinkers for a Christmas gift for a fishing buddy.
    I said sure just stop by.
    Well that night it snowed several inches.
    The next morning I'm gearing up to go out and snow blow the driveway when I hear a 4 wheeler going back and forth on the road.
    Listen closer and it sounds too close.
    Turns out it's my neighbor with a plow on his side by side plowing my driveway.
    Needless to say his sinkers were free and I gave him a dozen eggs.
    Then the other morning it snowed again.
    I had plans for ice fishing with a friend and his son and figured I'd snow blow when I got home. Especially since it was still snowing when I left.
    Came home and the neighbor had plowed my driveway again.
    So I dropped off another dozen eggs as a thank you gift.
    I didn'task him either time.
    Let's hear some stories of your nice neighbors and how you help each other!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    That is great story! Sadly I'm kind of isolated in the woods and don't really have a neighbor.......well sort of neighbors (our land meets each other, but that is about it). I would loved to hear more of other peoples stories!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    We have an amazing neighbor. He came over and helped us butcher our hogs when it was our first time and we had no clue what we were doing. He's worked with us on drainage issues, animal issues, took our kiddo to Youth Group when I was sick, just been great. I give him eggs, baked goods, etc.

4. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    Those are the the kind of neighbors we all need more of. Butchering is a skill I definitely need to learn more of. Eggs and baked goods sounds like they must be pretty good for him to continue helping you.

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I'm in the same boat as Chicken Girl1...we only 1 neighbor close by and he's usually gone. So I'll just subscribe and read up on everyone else's.

Always glad to read good news!

6. dustrag73

dustrag73 Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    I'm very lucky to have great neighbors. I always tell them they aren't allowed to move away. lol...They even bring my chicken ladies yummy treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by