Good news =] and bad news =[

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Skitz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    The good news is that my sister brought a puppy today! but the bad news is that she is blind!!! [​IMG] she cannot see at all! completely blind! the problem is that we don't know how to take care of it like that! we know how but its hard trying to get her to drink water and eat! [​IMG]

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Jeesh....I guess I can only tell you what my mom and sis have been through . They have a blue heeler they rescued from the pond at age 1 . She's 3 now and is completely blind . Some kind of macular degeneration . They find it helps to make certain sounds or whisles for certain things . You'll have to keep repeating , and making sure there is nothing in it's way , but as far as food and water , they'll find it ....sometimes I wish I had the nose of a dog to find my lost keys or remotes etc ! Just make sure they keep constant with the noises and practice as much as they can ! The first yr will be pretty rough.....but with patience...animals will trust and adapt ! Good luck !![​IMG]

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I saw on the tv show "its me or the dog" the other day that if you put a different smelling candle in each room (you don't have to light them) they will remember where they are by the different smells. Also near stair or doors put throw rugs so the floor texture changes so they know when to stop. I bet the rug will work with food and water also.

4. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Did she know it was blind when she bought it?

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  6. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    I have a blind dauchsund. She was born with no eyes and she learned really quick. The trick is to place it in the same spot every time. I got her when she was 8 wks old and she is now in her senior years.

7. Rosewynd

Rosewynd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2008
    Anza, CA
    I've trained blind dogs.

It takes them about 4 weeks to settle in and be comfortable. In about two weeks, you'll start to see any behaviors that need to be dealt with.

She's not worried about being blind; you are. Dogs don't anticipate, don't worry.

Give her time to learn her way around. She can smell the food and water - she will eat and drink when she needs to.

Don't move the furniture around.... don't leave things in the middle of the floor unless they have a scent and you want her to check them out. Scented oils can be used to mark steps and such.

Don't ever trim her whiskers - she uses those.

Mostly, just relax and enjoy her. She will figure things out and have you trained in no time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by