Good News and Bad News

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nemo, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I'm ten days into my first try at incubating.

We have fifteen eleven-month-old Buff Orpington hens, and one rooster. When a buddy at work heard we had chooks, he said he had an incubator I could borrow. I brought it home last month, and set it up.

It's an old Brower 845. It has quite a touchy adjustment screw. (The thermostat disks might need replacing because the temperature range is about nine degrees.) After a couple weeks fiddling, I finally got the high temp to be about 101°. I put nine eggs in two Thursdays ago.

I dutifully turned the eggs three times a day. Last Thursday, I came home, turned the eggs, and saw the temp was a little too high. So, I turned the screw just a hair. Unfortunately, I must have gone the wrong way.

Before going to bed that night, I went down to turn the eggs again, and the temp was up to 107°! I thought for sure they were cooked. I cooled the 'bator down, reset the thermostat, and decided to let them stay, just in case.

I went down at dinner time tonight to turn the eggs, and took a flashlight with me. They're brown eggs, and our hens get more-than-enough calcium, so it was hard to see much. I could see a good air pocket, and a dark blob taking up half the egg.

The good news is I had at least one egg survive the roasting.

The bad news is I HAD at least one egg survive the roasting.

While I was candling the eggs, I dropped one. It didn't fall far, but it was far enough for it to crack good and start leaking. So, I decided to open it up and take look. There was a tiny, little, naked chick in there, with huge eyes. It looked just like it should have at ten days old, and even flapped it's little wings. I was sad I had killed the poor thing, but encouraged that the others might still be growing.

I'll post pictures when they hatch.

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I hate it when that happens..[​IMG]

sorry for the bad news..

another good argument for not candling, huh??

3. MSHEN

MSHEN Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Monticello,MS
    Oh, Do I know where you're coming from. I have a broody that is due to hatch in about a week. I found one of her eggs crushed and took it out in the pasture and disposed of it . I opened it up, and there was the prettiest little chick, perfectly formed and dying before my eyes, I could barley look and just had to walk away! Broke my heart! What a waste!! [​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Only 2 times eggs should be candled; the day they are put in the bator (to check for any crackeds), on day 18 when you stop turning them.

I do realize they many people enjoy turning the eggs, but this is a good reason for using a turner. Also, you never have to open the bator for 18 days. Unless you smell a bad egg.

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:panner123, how do you do with your hatch's? What percent? I tried not to candle but everyone said to do it. I just wondered if you get a better hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by