1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good News, Bad News, and GROSS HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Knittycat, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    The good news: My last hen started laying
    The bad news: I still only have 5 out of 6 hens laying because one has decided to go broody
    The gross: I cracked open an egg today and it had VEINS!!! gag
    (how did that happen. I do have a roo technically, so the how should be obvious, except for the fact that he's a banty, totally dissed by the hens bottom of the pecking order, and I've never ever ever seen him even approach a hen much less mount her. When is he getting it on!? And with a BARRED ROCK no less! She's twice his size and constantly chasing him away from the food.)

2. OwensMom

OwensMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    CO Western Slope
    Apparently not TOTALLY dissed!!! I suggest that you pick up your eggs at least once a day and refrigerate them.

3. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    She must have a secret soft spot for him. [​IMG]

4. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    Quote:I do. But until the end of November, I'm gone on the weekends. So they totally have time to develop veins. Gag. They wouldn't do even that, but I came home to a broody welsummer this week. I guess I'll have to separate out the eggs I pick up on sunday evening, and be ready to see veining when I crack them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

That there was funny, I don't care who ya R.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by