Good News, Bad News, Good News and a question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madcap621, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Happy New Year!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, the good news is, we have 5. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'not-so-good-news': Of the 43 eggs set late Dec 9, 2 rotted [one of them exploded ] [​IMG], 17 were infertile [​IMG], 2 were 'early quitters' [​IMG], 5 have hatched today [​IMG] & 17 are apparently fully developed and w/air sacs in the broad end, but no beaks in the air sacs and no movement detected. No pips, no peeps, no wiggly eggs. I think they must be dead. [​IMG]. I think my babies are adorable but am bummed about the 'silent seventeen"! [​IMG] , Not to mention the 19 duds! [​IMG]

More GOOD news. [​IMG] I have been given a Hovabator still air 'bator that holds it's temp [​IMG], an auto turner that works [​IMG], 20 [plus what we gather tomorrow evening] fertile eggs [​IMG] [unless they aren't [​IMG] ] , and therefore another chance. [​IMG]

Any recommendations for what to do about the "silent seventeen" would be greatly appreciated. We have to drive back to middle TN on Saturday.

Now the question: I have an old computer fan. Is there a simple way to install it into the Hovabator? If not, I need advice on how to have even temps. where to measure temps, etc. So far the temp is holding [after initially being at 104* !] at 100* but the humidity is only about 37%.

Waiting your replies with baited breath.................... [​IMG]

2. save the favs

save the favs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Oregon
    My last incubator hatch took 20 hrs from 1st pip to last hatch, I never opened the incubator after "lockdown" to protect humidity, until over over 12 hrs after they all hatched. So, there's hope. Did any of your 17 hatch? Your 5 in the picture are just adorable.

3. Madcap621

Madcap621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Nothing more this morning.....................BUT.......................I learned this morning that both Mina AND Lonnie 'added a few' eggs to the bator during the first week, so maybe???????????????? [​IMG] [​IMG] Since I now have a bator [and Lonnie is loaning me his 12 volt adapter], I am going to slip them into one of the bators he gave me, plug the bator into the lighter plug and keep on incubating all the way to TN! [​IMG] I figure it can't hurt. If they are dead, then breaking lockdown won't make any difference & who knows............ I might get another few fluffy butts [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Worst case: I'll be doing autopsies next week. [​IMG]

Wish me luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by