good news/bad news

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horsejody, Jan 21, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There were 13 eggs in the bator. One hatched last night before we went to bed. 3 more had pips. This morning I had a total of 3 fuzzy butts in the bator. That's the good news. The bad news is that the fan that was mounted in the corner had come off and wasn't working. The temp was down to 92 degrees. And, worst of all, there were lifeless beaks showing through 2 pips. I had to fix the fan so I had a heat sink ready (canning jar full of warm water) and a new wet sock for humidty. I quickly opened the bator. Grabbed the fuzzy butts, readjusted the fan and added the jar and the sock. Meanwhile, I saw another lifeless pip. Shell cracked, but membrane not broke. I also got the lifeless pips out. The 1st 2 were dead. I think the lack of air circulation effected the humidity and the lack of heat made them weak. The 3rd, however, was barely alive. I took off some shell and opened the membrane so it could breath. It is now wrapped in a wet paper towel and will probably need help hatching if he survives. I don't think it will make it, but I will give it a chance. Rather than taking it in and out of the bator to check and help it, I fixed a tupperware as a bator. The heat source is one of those things you heat up in the microwave and wrap on your neck when you have a headache. BTW, the temp and the humidity in the bator went up to what it should be almost immediately after I adjusted the fan, so I hope there is hope for the other eggs. I brought the intensive care egg to work with me. I just checked. He is moving and his temp is good and his wet paper towell is keeping the membrane moist. I am hoping he hatches himself the rest of the way, but I have my doubts. If he makes it, he will be a favorite. I feels so bad. The stupid fan should have been taped up better.

But on a happier note, I know that 3 are fine. I tried to take pictures, but my camera is acting up. I will try again later.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    There are SO many things that can (and do!) go wrong when hatching! You can't control them all, and I know you did your very best! THanks goodness for the 3 healthy fuzz-butts! THey will be so special to you, AND, you have to know they are very strong and healthy to have gotten out!! [​IMG]

Crossed fingers that your little intensive care one makes it out okay! [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    He didn't make it. [​IMG] He was an ameraucana. Hopefully, some of the other 9 eggs left in the bator will still hatch. The live ones are 2 marans and 1 ameraucana. The 9 left are marans. I hope they make it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry Jody. [​IMG]

My fingers are crossed for the others. [​IMG]

5. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    OMG I don't need to read stuff like this.... [​IMG] I'm on day 12 of my first ever hatch. I sit around worrying enough as it is.

Sorry to hear you lost a few ...I hope the rest of your hatch is OK...

Good luck.

6. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Congrats of the good news! Cant wait to see pics.[​IMG]

7. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I'll be hoping you're little peeps make it!

8. blasto

blasto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Richmond
    Congrats on your three little fuzzies, and I am really sorry about the losses. Keeping my fingers crossed for the others!

9. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hoping you have good news when you get home and the others are doing well! Soo sorry you lost the little one!!

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sending good luck your way!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by