good news/bad news

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by femalecbrown, May 11, 2010.

1. femalecbrown

femalecbrown Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    Cloverdale, Indiana
    This past year we got our first chickens and our first goats. We had our goats bred in November. Only one of the girls took and we had our first kid yesterday. She was so cute and we fell instantly in love. The bad news is that today our shepherd, who had never bothered the goats before, got into the goat pen and killed the new baby. We are so sad. Sorry to ramble on but I am just so sad and don't know what to do with myself. To make matters worse, we had to put the dog down as she had previously killed some of our chickens. So, we lost two pets today.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm sorry, why would you have put the dog down??? Couldn't you have found a home for it with someone without chickens and goats?

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not trying to critisize your decision, but the dog's previous behavior does not have to be solved by euthanasia, many people have had excellent sucess training dogs that have had habits of chicken killing in the past to leave thier livestock alone. Some people mistakenly believe that once a dog has developed a habit of chicken killing that the behavior cannot be changed. In many cases, that is not true. Dogs can be trained to respect livestock in many, if not most cases. Again, not trying to condemn, just trying to clairify some misinformation.

4. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    I'm sorry you lost two beloved pets. I'm sure it could not have been an easy decision.

5. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    some people have had success retraining dogs, perhaps it didnt take with theirs. also sometimes dogs do get very very aggressive after a "kill" and arnt considered safe around small children anymore. its also very very difficult to rehome a known livestock killer. when dealing with these facts and the possibility of the dog spending the rest of its lifetime in a kenel you have to question quality of life for the dog. Im sorry you had to come to this decision, its a tough one and I am also sorry for the other livestock you have lost.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:That is heartbreaking, one is hard but two - wow [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my first hen this weekend, and there is not a whole lot one can say about the sadness that comes with the loss....except that my thoughts are with you.

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your baby goat. I am also sorry you had to make the decision on your dog. [​IMG]

9. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    As someone with both goats and chickens, I know how difficult it can be to protect our little ones. So sorry you had to experience this, but when it comes time to breed your goats again, please make sure that nothing can come close to those babies. They are so small and vulnerable that anything can take them out. Even a dog running the fence, not even with the animals is enough to kill them.

Since you are new to goats, make sure that if you're not milking the mother that you watch her for mastitis and stress related illness because of her loss. You may need to dose her with antibiotics as well as drench (depending on how easier her birth was and if she was hurt by the dog at all). Some goats are very good moms and it takes them a bit of adjustment to get past losing their babies.

10. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry for the loss of both your animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by