Good News!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by debilorrah, Oct 10, 2008.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I followed the advice on this site, and we built a brooder for our chicks right next to the bigger birds in the hen house. Put them out there at 4 weeks. This last weekend, we opened up a hole big enough for them to get in and out of but small enough that the others can't get in.

The chicks, now 7 weeks, are happily going in and out ALL BY THEMSELVES (it is above the nesting boxes) and the bigger hens have not yet beat them up, AND it hasn't disturbed laying!!!!

Tonight I went to put the lone chick back and she ran around me in circles pecking at my pants - with the commotion ALL the older birds came running in to see what's wrong including the roo. This is going VERY well. [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    THAT is an excellent idea, never thought of it. I will do it with my next batch of chicks when they are ready. Makes great sense. Thanks

3. debilorrah

Hey this site deserves the credit. I can't believe how well it's going!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Nicely done. You listened to the experts here (I'm not one!) and enjoyed success. I agree about the quality of help from the experienced keepers...[​IMG]

5. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    After reading some wisdom from these wonderful sages, I've been doing something similar with my "replacement" companions. I put the 3 wk olds outside (it's in the 80's) in an enclosed pen next to the 7wk old's run. Let 7 wk old free to inspect the little ones. I hope by the time everyone's feathered out they'll have gotten used to each other and will settle into the coop nicely. The little babies go back in the garage with a heat lamp for the night.

6. debilorrah

This morning all our babies saw us and went to their cut-out (it gets closed at night) and were clammering for us to let them out! Too cute.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Glad it's going so well for you Deb. [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Thanks! They have become used to the flap being opened and they are all lined up every morning for us to let them out. CUTE!

9. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    Any pictures of the set up?

10. debilorrah

This is brooder box where the chicks sleep at night, and where they got to know their neighbors
    [​IMG]

This is to the left of the brooder when the big girls sleep
    [​IMG]

Here you can see where they come and go in the bottomw right corner of the brooder
    [​IMG]
    I just realized that the flap is closed in this pic, but it is there.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by