Good number of quail?

playswithfowl

One Earth!
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Oregon
I am going to be getting some Texas A&m's and was wondering if getting 3 females and 1 male would be a good amount to start with. I am going to take to the county fair this summer, and will probably hatch out some eggs for meat, and eat extra eggs.

Thanks--PWF

yeppers 3 is the minimum amount of hens I personally would reccomend. I mean people can have less than that per roo but the risk of the roo over breeding and torchering the hens is higher the lower hens you go. My min is 3 hens, my max is 5 hens.
smile.png

Thats kind of what I had read. Just wanted to make sure. 2 females just seemed like trouble, and 5 was too many. I found someone local that has several varieties of Coturnix, and he sells eggs, chicks, and 6 week old adults. I'm going to go with A&M's. Can they be sexed at 6 weeks old? What do you feed them at that age?
Thanks--PWF

Last edited:
Quote:
I normally feed them chick (game bird nonmedicated) feed until 8 weeks, though if you didn't want to I don't think there wouldnt bea probelm with it if you put them on adult game bird feed (if you cannot find game bird feed you can feed chicken feed but try to make sure its nonmedicated....and you'll more than likely have to suppliment protien...you may want to ask teh breeder what they feed them and if it works for htem should work for you!
smile.png
Coturnix are a tough breed but what's best for them is nonmedicated game bird feed with high protien.

As for sexing at 6 weeks old, yes as long as he has his birds outside or under lighting. The roos will have a swollen vent (and crow) and the hens won't have a swollen vent. If it was me i'd walk right in grab hte firstone that crows and then you got your roo....then pick up the hens and if you see a normal vent (with NO dramatic swelling) you got yourself girls.
smile.png
Did you check out my edcuational post? If so, the vent picture with the foam that's the easiest way to tell on breeding aged birds. hens who are laying eggs (if they are laying already) their vent will also be alot bigger. Hens who haven't been laying yet though, ofcourse their vents aren't large yet from laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom