Good OL Garlic!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by farmnfowl, Dec 12, 2010.

1. farmnfowl

farmnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    anyone using garlic for the chicks.its a Great!!! weekly additive and the birds benifit alot from it.Brings them up to a superior level of condition,and its not real expensive.you can use the powder form to sprinkle on the feed.Garlic oil to coat the feed a little messy but put it in a plastic pan the can be washed.or for drinking water take a couple fresh smashed cloves boil them in a quart of water,then strain it out.then add 3 quarts of cold water to the boiled quart and its ready for them to drink.Any of the 3 ways are ok give it to them once a week for a month and see for yourself the improvement in health and feather quality.the oil and powder can be purchased from almost any pigeon supply house.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How about raw garlic?

3. farmnfowl

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    The Cloves are raw Garlic that you get from the grocery store.I think if you chopped it up they would eat it without causing any harm given once a week.The problem is Garlic is very potent and a very little goes a long ways.plus by using the oil, powder or juice from the cloves they all get the same amount.hope this helps

4. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    There is a picture on here from a BYC member named Resolution I think it is and it is of him shoving a whole garlic clove down a chickens throat. He lives by the holistic medicine approach for your flock from what I gather, lots of garlic, cranberry and other extracts and natural herbs to keep you flock in excellent health. Do a search on him and you can find a couple of things he has written about garlic and stuff for your birds.

5. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    Once a week I make up a concoction of plain yogurt (large tub) , scrambled or boiled eggs (7-8) , dark molasses (2 T) , garlic (1 t), tumeric (1/2 t). I mix this all together and give to the chickens. I read on BYC this combination is very good for the chickens overall health. I used to cut up garlic cloves but now buy the minced garlic in the produce section. As far as the tumeric it must be strong as it took the chickens a while to adjust once I started adding it to the mixture.

6. celticfarmer

celticfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Northern MN
    Quote:Is there any reason I can't use the same powder that I mix into my hamburgers?

7. farmnfowl

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    I dont see how it could harm your birds any.I like the oil or drinking juice myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by