Good or Bad idea? Leasing land for chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BLaBauve, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I live in a city that doesn't allow roosters, but I'd really like to start a small breeding flock. I cannot move at this time but have found a few acres for lease 30 minutes away. I have a few friends who are also interested, so we could divide up the daily visits. Oh, and it's really cheap. The area is nice, with houses over 500K around - and chickens are legal!

Is this an awful idea? Are the chickens likely to get eaten, stolen, etc? We'd build very secure runs/coops, probably dead bolt them and put up electric fencing. There are utilities at the street, so we'd have to haul in water. We plan on keeping this VERY small scaled, with maybe 3 small breeding flocks. Does anyone else lease land, and not live on it?

Any advice is appreciated!

2. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i wouldnt do it. most chickens need you to be near them because they need supervision. from predators including ones that are 2 legged. if anything happened you wont be able to do anything about cuz your 30 minutes away...

this is just my opinion... it seems better to look out your window and know your chickens are safe.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Sounds like problems waiting to happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by