1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good pet chicken breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Sep 22, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I have ducks right now, but I really want some buff orps, or barred rock. Which one of these breeds are good for pets? If buffs are better, I have a friend who has more then she needs of buffs. So I could buy a trio from her. But I want to kinda start with chicks? Is there a hatchery that sells only 3 chicks? Thanks!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Either can be a great pet, and everyone's gonna say whatever they have experience with. I say go with both. [​IMG]

3. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:I agree

4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:My pet chicken advertises they can ship as few as 3 depending on your zip code. They ship out of Ohio, I am in NH and my minimum was 4 of the same and 5 mixed, I dont understand why you need more when there is a mix, but I ordered 5 even though I only wanted 4, because I didnt want 4 of the same kind [​IMG]

Good luck have fun [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I can only get three of 1 breex, so its either one or the other [​IMG]

6. skylarms

skylarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Buckley, WA
    My barred rocks are ultra friendly! THey jump on your lap if you kneel down!

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Either will be fine. The Orpingtons hava a reputation of going broody a lot, so that might factor in your decision, but either should make good pets.

Instead of looking for a hatchery, you migh try posting in this thread, the East Tennessee thread. I expect you can find someone close by that can help you get what you want without buying from a hatchery. Though since you friend has the Buff Orps, that would be a good place to go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=449457

One thing to consider, though. If you get baby chicks, sex could be a problem. Hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy in sex. With baby chicks from individuals, that could be a problem. You would probably want an agreement that you could return roosters if you got more than you wanted.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I wont be able to get them till spring, but if I get them from my friend then I can get them when I get some extra money. I dont care about broodieness. I would be happy if they are broody [​IMG] I think ill go with the buffs. How much do buffs lay?

9. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    I love my buffs. Mine lay about 5-6 eggs a week. They just started laying in February, so I can't speak from personal experience but they are supposed to lay fairly well through winter. Mine are the most friendly out of my chickens, and are constantly under my feet when I am outside. Heaven forbid I try eating outside without locking them up, they'll jump right up and help themselves to my plate. [​IMG] I had one go broody this summer, she and her silkie buddy hatche 9 out of 10 eggs and were great mommas. My BO stayed with the chicks for a month longer than the silkie. Their chicks are also very friendly (not BO's though) and I think it's cause momma taught them to be friendly.

10. t/m

t/m Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    I got mine from Meyer Hatchery in OH and their minimum is 3 chicks. Of the 6 LF I got, the Delaware is the sweetest, letting me pet and hold her and coming to me. Next would be my Barred Rock, same things just not as much. Handle them as babies and that will help. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by