Good place for chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ambrowright, Mar 11, 2015.

1. ambrowright

ambrowright New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    arizona
    Hi everyone! I'm new here, and new to chickens! We live in a small neighborhood in Yuma, AZ with a small yard and I was wondering a few things about the area of my yard I have chosen for my future chickens to reside. [​IMG]
    Will they harm that fab? If so I can block it off, but I wanted to put them between the fan and the grass, which is 8' x 25'. I only want 4 or 5, so I am hoping that 200 sq ft will be enough for them. I was just going to do a small A frame coop up against the house. Will they hurt my stucco? Also, is this dirt sufficient or do they need something else? Thanks! Any pointers or advice is welcome!

2. ambrowright

ambrowright New Egg

Mar 11, 2015
    arizona
    And by "fab" I mean fan

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Hello and welcome to BYC. If your stucco is styrofoam under the tan mud surface, if they find it, they will eat it with relish. As for the AC fan, yes you will need to restrict them from the top. Where they could put a leg into the fan. Also they will 'make a mess' up there and feathers into and or around the coils will not help you with your summer heat, house calling needs. The space is fine, they will love the room, regardless of the shape of the area.

Have fun, enjoy your birds,

RJ

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by