1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good place to order eggs online?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PotatoWaffles, Jan 10, 2015.

1. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Hello all!

My fiancé and I want to raise some ducklings this spring, and I was wondering if anyone knew of reputable places online from which to purchase eggs? We want lighter, friendly birds, so I was thinking about Magpies or Anconas. I have looked at Stromberg's online, but does anyone have any experience from ordering there? Or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

~PotatoWaffles

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Hi Potato! First off, I LOVE your username, ha! I think your best bet is to research local breeders. If you've decided on what breed you want, you can look up breeders in your area. For example, I wanted call ducks (just a side note, if lightweight and friendly is what you're looking for, you can't beat a call duck!), and to my luck there was an award-winning call breeder just an hour north of Seattle, where I live. You should be able to find at least one within reasonable shipping range!

Metzer Farms also sells eggs and ducklings online, but since they're so popular they may run out of the breed or color you want and you'll have to be put on a waiting list for next year.

Another place is online auctions such as ebay or featherauction, but to be honest I'd only go that route if you couldn't find any breeders whatsoever. When buying at auction you don't have much control over quality, and all too often what comes out of the egg doesn't match the description of what you paid for!

Good luck, you're gonna LOVE raising your adorable ducklings, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  3. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Thanks for all the info! As cute and cuddly as call ducks are, I think they're a little too loud for us (at least from what I've heard). We live on the edge of town and I don't think our neighbors would like a noisy flock living next door. Waffles, our peking gal, is loud enough as it is, lol. I don't know much about ducklings, but I do know I want to avoid buying them from the feed stores around here. I'm kinda leery of them from the stories I've heard, and they're not the breeds we want anyway. I will definitely check out Metzer Farms and look around for local breeders. Thanks again!

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Nest of luck to you, and be sure to let us know when you get 'em! W always love photos of those lil' fluffy butts :p

5. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Thanks! I will be sure to. I checked out Metzer and I acutally think I might go with their Welsh Harlequins instead. They seem like they would work out well.

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Yay! I do love me some Welsh Harlequins. And they're a rare to boot, so you'd be carrying on a very nice legacy breed!

7. PotatoWaffles

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    Well I ordered six ducklings from Metzer Farms, and they'll be here on the 11th of February. My birthday is the 8th, so it will be like a late birthday present to myself, lol. I couldn't decide which breed to get (they were all so pretty), so I got a male and female Welsh Harlequin, a male and female Cayuga, a female Blue Swedish and a female Buff. I was going to get two female WH's but my fiance saw the buff ducks and wanted one (because he like the name of the breed, typical guy), so I switched one WH girl for a Buff girl. I'm super stoked and cannot wait until they arrive. Thanks for suggesting the place!!!!!!!

8. Espresso

Espresso Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Starbucks
    Great choices!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by