Good place to retire?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by crosbygroup, Aug 6, 2010.

1. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, I've got a few years before I can retire, buy I'd like to start thinking of where I'll live. I'd like a small hobby farm 5-10 acres, not to much snow, lake or river near by, beautiful trees (pine or hardwood). At this point in time we would probably have $500,000 - $600,000 to spend on it. Any suggestions? [​IMG]
  2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Where I live in upstate SC is nice [​IMG] Land isn't too terribly expensive here yet, depending on where you buy. . . a lot of retirees really like the mountains of western NC as well. Gorgeous scenery, not too much snow usually, generally mild summers (this year has been pretty hot though, like most everywhere), lots to do. I'm sure you'll get votes for all over the country and other parts of the world, but I am partial to my own [​IMG]
  3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Middle Tennessee; we have a lot of people moving here from Florida because they miss the change of seasons. Prices pretty reasonable, and the scenery from Chattanooga North and East is wonderful.
  4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    I love where we live. 1/2 block from the river, there is snow though, but it is beautiful and inexpensive to live simply.
  5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Lake Lure, NC.................nuff said.
  6. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Nevada City, CA! It has a great retirement community, it's a gorgeous area, quiet and with lots of property with ranches, and in your price range, too. [​IMG] It's pine forest here, and there are the best lakes and rivers all around for swimming. (The Yuba River is absolutely incredible! Totally clear water, it's beautiful...) It only snows a little, a few times a year, but not much. It's rare to get more than a foot. Look it up and see what you think--it's nice here. [​IMG] If you prefer no snow, there are plenty of areas just a little down the way that you could look into as well (Auburn, Loomis, Penn Valley, etc.)
  7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Montana of course! Wide open spaces, we do get snow but we don't have a sales tax [​IMG] Living simple is the norm. Also the cost of living is pretty low.
  8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Beautiful Arkansas! We offer everything you're looking for. Where I'm at we get 2 or 3 snows a year. There is a 44,000 acre lake, a famous trout river, all the pines, oak, hickory, & other trees you can stand. Plus a bonus! NO MOSQUITOS!! For that kind of money, you could get 100 acres & a very nice house, or you can move to a retirement community & spend it all on a condo.(yuck). Arkansas is wonderful.
  9. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! Great suggestions - I'm looking up web sites on each of them. Now I really want to retire.
  10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    I am already retired, but we probably will lose our house to the freeway in a year or two.

I would like to live somewhere where it rains and is green. I would like to have some land, but not too much. Just enough to keep animals, raise a garden and have an orchard.

The best bargains now seem to be in Chile, Peru and Ecuador. Mexico would have been our first choice, but there is just too many problems there now. And I want to live somewhere that I can flush the paper.

My brother retired to Costa Rica. They have a lot of immigration requirements, but he deposited a half million dollars in a Costa Rican bank, and suddenly all the problems went away.

Australia is an other option, but it is so far away from family and friends. And I really don't think at our age we could learn to drive on the other side of the road and shift with the left hand.

If I was under the age of forty, I would emmigrate right away. The good times are over in this country. Too much taxation for programs that don't work and too many people that don't want to work but want to live off of the system.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by