Good place to sell geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by snowhorse, Jun 21, 2010.

1. snowhorse

snowhorse Pantry Brook Farm

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    Where is a good place to put geese for sale? I have 2 gander I am trying to sell and haven't got a soul interested [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Did you try Craigslist? Or how about putting it up in your feed store?

3. snowhorse

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    Feed store is a good idea. Have to make a little flier.

I put them on craigslist, here, and another forum.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I wouldn't recomend Craigslist. People on there probably want them for meat. [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Not necessarily. I have some customers that purchased ducklings from my criagslist ad and they send me regular update pics [​IMG]

I also met a woman who owns a petting zoo and she has purchased a duck hen and hatching eggs from me. I can visit any time!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  6. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Quote:I'm glad you had a good experience. I sold three young roosters on that site to a man who was later busted for cockfighting. [​IMG] I still feel absolutely horrible that I did that to them. [​IMG]

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I buy all kinds of poultry from Craigslist all the time. I also sell on Craigslist.

I just want to throw this out there though. I know in my area. Some of my ducks do go for meat. I live in a mostly, poorer, rural area and if someone can purchase a mature Pekin for $3 to feed their hungry family rather than spending more money on something from the grocery store, I've become okay with that. A lot of people in my area grow/raise their own food to eat because its healthier and cheaper.

Laurie

8. Thamnophis

Thamnophis Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2009
    $3.00 for an adult meat duck? They sell for $20.00 here!

9. snowhorse

Jun 13, 2009
    MA
    I know people use things for meat, and I don't really have a problem with people bringing up their own meat. I don't eat goose, but I do raise my own chickens for meat. So what someone does with them past me is up to them, as long as they are not abused. I would rather have them eaten then be abused or tortured. ( doesn't sound right but I think you get what I am saying) There are worse things than death. But unfortunatly with animals you run the risk of the wrong person getting them, you can't trust anyone now days, its really sad. I have a hard time selling things for that reason, but I can't keep everything! I do try to figure out what people are taking or using them for, but again I know people who have sold their horses to "good homes" and they were shipped off to the glue factory [​IMG]

It's not where I would prefer them to go, but they are a cross, and are not show worthy. So at the end of the day, they just need to be sold, and I have waaay too many ganders ( which are getting nasty with my 1 hen already)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by