Good places to buy brooders?

yanks26

Songster
11 Years
Jan 9, 2009
Connecticut
So right now I am hatching chicks in my incubator and selling them to people who have put orders in with me. I am a relatively small business with one hova-bator incubator. Now the problem is, sometimes I have a couple chicks left over and my customers don't want anymore so I need to invest in a brooder to keep them healthy and alive while they await a future home.

My question is, where is a good place online to get a brooder to hold no more than 20 chickens yet is not $200?

Also, what type of feeder and waterer should I get?

I think I would just go with a cardboard box and a heat light, a 1 gallon plastic waterer and a cheap tray feeder. Once you start buying electricity to keep the little buggers warm, you'll start losing your profit. I give away the ones I can't sell. Cheaper in the long run. JMHO

Last edited:
Takes very little to make one, here is one of mine that uses two lights and some pine shavings...

20922_brooderjpg.jpg

Quote:
Mine too. You can buy the rubermaid totes at the Dollar Store and Walmart for $10. I use the mason jar feeders for chicks, cause Ive had a couple bantams get in the feed tray and get stuck. But standard size chicks dont have that problem.

Quote:
Should u cover the whole top like that? Would it be better to cut the top in half and just leave the other side open for fresh air?

Back
Top Bottom