1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good plan?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by KelsiNS, Feb 28, 2014.

1. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    We have a large assortment of laying hens and three gorgeous roos. Im going to hatch a pretty large clutch and plan on raising the hatched roos for meat.

I plan on brooding them indoors so i can watch for roos more closely and decide who i want to keep and who will be sold later, and also so i can eeperate meat birds i select.

The boys will be moved to a chicken tractor and the rest will be placed with my flock-so i can keep a higher protein feed going to them until D Day.

I have mostly dual purpise breeds lije aussies and barred rocks , buff orps.

Any tips from the pros? Im not looking to fast raise them-my RIR roo was butchering weight at 10 weeks and thats not an insane amount of time so these can grow as they grow.

Anyone hatch their own meat birds? Any tips on which eggs to set? Does the egg size affectthe size of the chick?

2. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Not any experience, no but plans to breed Lt Sussex and New Hamp for sex links. The hybrid roos are good eating also. The Lt Sussex has a terrific texture and good taste. Just like the Dorkings.[​IMG]

Edited for content: Also, good Delawares are fast growing, and tasty.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Bigger eggs (not giant ones or double yolkers) are more likely to hatch healthy chicks.

I am surprised you got a RIR to butchering weight at 10 weeks. I tend to butcher at 4 to 6 months, but then I don't grow out a bunch to eat. I simply grow them out and eat the extras.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by