Good pool set-up?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckluv, Aug 21, 2010.

1. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I think I've decided to get some Welsh Harlequins and am looking for a good pool set-up. I already have a duckhouse (little tikes playhouse), but I need a good pool set-up that manly consists of kiddie pools. I also have a turte sandbox they could wade in, but I want them to be able to swim. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've build decks for the pools. I've used old 2x6 boards I had laying around. Each pool has one deck and 2 stair cases. It is best to put the stairs next to the pool, because the ducks tend to run along side of the pool to find the stairs. This also allows me to change the configurations anytime. I can put two decks together and put a pool on each side. Or run it singular like the large pool with slide. Each step of the stairs is 3.5" high and they move up and down with ease. I've also shown a picture of the drain assembly. I was going to use a shower drain, but the prices for the whole assembly would have been to expensive. I went for a threaded ball valve with a threaded nibble from inside using two large rubber gaskets on each side of the pool. I can get another piece so I can hook up a garden hose. Drain assembly per pool was under 5 dollars each. Now it takes only a few minutes to drain and it will leave about 3/4 inch water on the button, that is easy to lift and I can hose out the rest. In winter I can just move the pools into storage. The big pool is out in an area with little shade. I've basically got some large 8 foot T-posts and bungeed a shade cloth over it. PM me with your private email address, if you like jpg files with instructions on how to build these decks and stairs. Ultra easy to make.
    So here are the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    For those that want to put in a ball valve drain. Here are the parts:
    [​IMG] 3/4" x 1" PVC Male Adapter @ $0.77
    [​IMG] 3/4" Threated PVC Ball Valve @ $3.17
    [​IMG]Two #11 O-Rings (3/4") @ 1.97 for 10 pieces

All pieces are available at Home Depot or other hardware stores. Make sure to cut your hole as tight as possible. Put the Male Adapter with an o-ring inside of the pool, add another o-ring outside and screw on the ball valve. No glue needed. Really simple.

You can also buy a hose adapter, which you can screw into the outer part of the ball valve. This enables you to connect a garden hose to it, so you can have the dirty water discharge anywhere in the garden.
    [​IMG] 3/4 In. x 3/4 In. MPT x MHT (Male Hose Thread) PVC Hose Thread Adapter @ $0.99

The prices given are from Home Depot. They do not include sales taxes. Take this list with you to the hardware store and have someone help you. Make sure they all screw together before you leave.

Remember to fill up your pool once and then mark the location to cut for the drain. The pools have the tendency to pull down a little bit. Do not put it in first and then fill the pool only to find out that you are too low and the valve gets pushed up.

3. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks!

4. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    Holy Cow!! Your ducks are spoiled :) I have one kiddie pool but thought I would put another one on the other side of their pen..... alternate pools for cleaning purposes. Great pics and set up :)[​IMG]

5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I like the drain idea! I was going to do mine with a bulkhead adapter, but it was too expensive. Thanks!

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I was going with a shower or bathtub drain, but they were quite expensive. This seems to be the least expensive version. It allows me to use medium and large pools without having to worry about their weight once full of water. The large one does have a small plug in it, but it is in a bad location and the soil below it will prevent drainage. Also you have to reach into the nasty water trying to find the little tab to pull on it. I've put a new one on the side and it works wonderful. I still have to lift the pool for rinse out with a little bit of water in it, but it is not back breaking. Plus my ducks use the slide and prefer the deep one for diving. Yes, they are so pampered and don't even know it. They have become quite demanding. They get upset if the pool isn't filled in the morning. In the afternoon they always are allowed to get out to come into our backyard for watermelon treats. They get loud and complain on the back deck if the melons don't come out fast enough. They are just happy with their live.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG]

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Is that a shower cap over curlers?? [​IMG]

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] Travis A. Pompadore. You are the second person to say that it looks like a shower cap.[​IMG]

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Nice set ups!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by