Good Price for Meaties

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by OSUman, Aug 22, 2010.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I am starting to try and start a mini- business selling eggs and meat and I was wondering what the current prices for meat was, preferably in Il but just what everyone gets. I am selling my eggs for $3 a doz and last time I had a small batch for the fair i sold some of them for $8 per bird. I am going to put a list out so that I can get requests and I want to put a price so I cant just wait till theyre butchered and i can calculate my feed costs. What would be a good price for them?

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I just sold some that were butchered and bagged for $10 each.

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Quote:How much do you pay to get them butchered and bagged? Are they USDA approved? Mine will be so im just wondering. Also how much do you pay for feed i pay $9 for 50 lb of feed.

4. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I run about $10/50# of feed here. The butchering was $1.50 each, I bagged them. This is not a business, just a couple of friends who wanted a few birds and I had some. I have a friend who sells them for $15 up near the Twin Cities and they are not butchered. He sells them to the Hmong people near him.

5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I order them from the Amish. They get them for 50 cents per day old chick at the feed mill during chick days. They raise them until 8 weeks and butcher them. I pick them up the same day for $7 each. If I raised them myself, then they charge $2 each to butcher.

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I only ordered 25 got 26-originally only wanting 15 for my winter freezer. It cost the same to ship 15 or 25 literally -so 25 it was for almost the same price with 10 more birds included! I am keeping 15 for myself and 2 egg customers want some-I told them 3.50 lb$ they didnt flinch which will put the birds about 12-15$ each processed and bagged.

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My own sister who lives in the city didn't flinch when I told 3.50LB either. She goes to a store called Whole foods and pays 6.99lb for organic boneless chicken.

8. buckeyejerseygiants

buckeyejerseygiants Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Quote:That's why it's nicknamed "Whole Paycheck." [​IMG] The brown eggs at the one here are $4.50/dozen. [​IMG] So glad I have chickens!

$10 per bird seems fairly cheap, imo! Costs may be different there but I know I wouldn't break even with that.

9. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'd happily pay $6.99 a pound! I'm working on raising all my own meat birds right now, because I don't like the way the animals are raised commercially, plus it's too expensive to buy what I have to have.
    Since I'm Jewish, I can only buy meat that is certified kosher. Being in a town where there are no Jews to speak of, I have to drive two hours to Las Vegas to buy meat. Kosher chicken runs $10 a pound or more! Not to mention gas money, having to spend the whole day on this, and having to eat out somewhere (also very expensive for me!) I can raise my own for around a dollar a pound or less. I've got a few friends who will buy some processed birds from me this winter, and I am charging them $1.50 a pound, which won't really give me a profit, just pay for feed and processing.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on where you live, and how much it costs you to raise your birds. I sold some to friends 4 years ago when I still raised them back home in Everett for about $20 each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by