Good price?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3LilBirds, Mar 29, 2012.

1. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I wanted to get an idea of what everyone pays for feed. The first time I bought chick starter feed it was $5 for a 5# bag. Today I ran out to get more but from a different place. I got a 25# bag for $7.95. It seems like a way better price on top of the fact they are only 5 miles from my house.

2. Maggie C

Maggie C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    Largo, FL
    Prices can vary dramatically depending on where you get your feed. For convenience sake, I have bought feed at a local feed store and paid around $23 for a 50lb bag. When I drive the few extra miles to TSC, I get it for $15.[​IMG]

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Never buy your feed or pine chips from the shelf. They carry the bulk bags in back storage usually. There is a huge difference from small quantity shelf items to bulk. Like here at our local Agway a small loose bag of shavings is $3, a compressed 3.5 cubic ft bale is 6.50, a staggering difference.

BTW, our 50# bag price for feed is around $15 here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  4. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Well I do know that they had to go to the back to bring it out to me. I should have asked how much the 50# bag was. Too bad I don't have a TSC near me. The pine shaving I just got as well was $8 for 4 cubic feet. That sure did seem alot better then the small $5 bag at Petsmart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by