good prices for breeder coops? pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bufforp89, Nov 29, 2010.

1. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have never bought a pre-made coop before but need a few for Spring as I wont have time to build my own. I was on CL and found a guy who makes them on the side and his prices seem reasonable but I really have no idea [​IMG]

This is the first one is pretty small at 2x3 but keep in mind I would use them for LF pairs or 3-4 bantams and they have unlimited freerange durring the day
    the price is $150
    [​IMG]
    another pic of the same size
    [​IMG]

Here is the larger, the dementions he gave me are 3x4x5 and the price is $200
    [​IMG]

they come unpainted, Paint, insulation and electrical hookups are optional for additional fees
    Are these reasonable prices? They seem to be to me but I would like some opinions [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    That is cheap compared to what is available on line. The small houses are cute but need ventalation added.

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    IMHO, the first one looks like a real good deal. But the second, looks to be made out of particle board or OSB which IMO, would not last a real long time.

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:you mean the 3rd pic, and yes, it does appear to be painted OSB, not a wise choice
    at those prices, considering the cost of materials, his labor is very cheap, I'd buy those if I was in the market and needed some built for me.
    Myself, I prefer using reclaimed materials as much as possible. To me, the self sustainability of raising chickens goes hand in hand with preserving the environment, not blasting through brand new materials to house animals [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  5. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Not a bad price, but you will have to modify any of them to keep chickens in them. There is no ventilation in any of the pictures, other than the door way openings.

So I guess it would depend on how much time your willing put in, to fix the problem.

The last one pictured I wouldn't give much for at all.

6. SnowycreeksHens

SnowycreeksHens New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Whitney Point
    Hi...I just joined this forum and so surprised to see a 'local' poster, we are practically neighbors..lol!! I'm most definitely a newbie to the chickie world but having a fun time.

I've also looked into pre-built coops but found them to be very expensive. However, the ones you are showing look pretty darn good and so does the price, if they are good sized. I say this because I just attempted my very first construction project EVER, first time using a circular saw (scared the beejeebies outta me) but I have it almost finished, with a 'few' little helps from hubby.

I didn't want to spend much, wanted to use scraps around home. I started with an old pallet for the base/floor (can't build a square box for the life of me). Added 2x4's for corner posts, chipboard for walls, roofing paper to cover roof, two small pallets stood upright and fastened together for the door, added plexiglass for a window....and I'm proud as I can be of my little, ole, crooked, unlevel, uneven, unsquared coop...lol. But the cost of material I ended up having to buy amazed me. I figure I have well over $200 in my coop, which looks like a little outhouse (similar size and shape to the red one in your pics)....but NO where as fancy nor with outside nesting boxes! I still have to go inside to get eggs. Right now it's fairly clean because the hens seem to be using it just for laying eggs. (I have an older gambral roof shed I converted for the large coop. The roost in here at night but also lay eggs. I even find some in a hay nest on the floor..ugh. It does get messy in there. I've made some adjustments but it still isn't just right.)

I painted the chipboard with a 1-2-3 sealer paint that cost a little over $16/gal! And I spent days n days, hours and more hours, got a few slivers and few pounded fingers and thumbs, plus very cold weather hit. I feel great about what I've achieved, but for the price, I wouldn't hesitate buying the red one pictured. All I need is the info to contact that seller...if you care to share!! lol

7. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    grab one of those up Thats cheap and cute. Around here you would pay LOTS more! My neighbor bought one that cost her 900.00 and not much bigger than that one. And while you are at it send one my way. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by