Good protective alert bantam breed?

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
I am looking to get a bantam rooster and and a couple of bantam hens to add to my mixed flock,the top of my run isn't covered so I would like them to be alert of Hawks so they can run to cover when one comes by, I would also like them to be friendly to me. Currently I am looking at OEG ,Dutch,brahma and pekin (cochin). Thanks

Japanese bantams.

Great and docile,and the rooster has great care and watch for his hens.

Thank you I will look into them, anyone else have any other replies.

I recommend the OEGB's... have some Silver Duckwings and they are super sweet, love to be affectionate and are very smart... mine are hyper alert, too... they chitter and carry on at any new thing and alert to danger very loudly... and move fast for cover!

Ok I will see what the breeder has available then go from there! How friendly are they? Can you have 2 roosters? Thinking this may help protection.

Ok I will see what the breeder has available then go from there! How friendly are they? Can you have 2 roosters? Thinking this may help protection.

They are extremely friendly! I have one that hops onto my finger anytime I offer it to him and my fiance has one that loves to sit on his shoulder and cuddle in his hair, lol. The boys tend to be more outgoing and the girls are usually a little timid, but sweet.
2 bantam roos is very tricky. Most will not tolerate another roo around their hens and can fight viciously, and they do not stop once started. You might be able to get 2 to live together if they are raised together and both have plenty of hens, but it is a crap shoot. A bantam roo has a better chance of getting along with a large fowl roo than another bantam, depending on the large roo, too.
2 roos won't necessarily give more protection, they are to small for doing much against a predator, but more for sounding off and getting everyone headed for cover. 1 should be enough for that, they really don't miss much! They are super inquisitive and react to any new sound or object in their area. Hope this helps!

They are extremely friendly! I have one that hops onto my finger anytime I offer it to him and my fiance has one that loves to sit on his shoulder and cuddle in his hair, lol. The boys tend to be more outgoing and the girls are usually a little timid, but sweet.
2 bantam roos is very tricky. Most will not tolerate another roo around their hens and can fight viciously, and they do not stop once started. You might be able to get 2 to live together if they are raised together and both have plenty of hens, but it is a crap shoot. A bantam roo has a better chance of getting along with a large fowl roo than another bantam, depending on the large roo, too.
2 roos won't necessarily give more protection, they are to small for doing much against a predator, but more for sounding off and getting everyone headed for cover. 1 should be enough for that, they really don't miss much! They are super inquisitive and react to any new sound or object in their area. Hope this helps!

Thanks they sound like they are perfect for me! Do you have yours in a covered run? If not have you ever lost one to a hawk?
Thanks for all you help

Thanks they sound like they are perfect for me! Do you have yours in a covered run? If not have you ever lost one to a hawk?
Thanks for all you help

No hawk attacks so far (knock on wood), but I do have most of them in covered runs. The one big problem with them is that they fly, and they fly VERY well, lol. I do have one in with my large fowl layers, uncovered run, but have to put him back in once in a while. If he gets really startled he just flies the coop, lol, but never goes far. Always ends up on my deck at the window hollering and carrying on til we come out.

Edited to add: You are very welcome! I love my OEGB's and it is great to share them with others. Their personalities are so much bigger than their little bodies, lol.

Last edited:
Forgot to ask, are they cold hardy? The coldest it gets here is probably -10c but it never really gets that cold unless we are in a cold patch( it has onl got -4c so far this winter)
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom