1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Quail breeds for outdoor pets

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Virus, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I was thinking about getting a few quail as pets but the only ones I've found that seem good are button quail and must be kept inside. I have a run outside and would like them living out there. I won't be eating them they will be pets if I get any and I was just wondering what breeds are the best for this purpose. Thanks!

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Hi there!
    I have seen this stated before, that buttons must be kept inside or can't handle freezing temperatures. However, I've also read that some people do keep them outside, without any problem. They just make sure they have plenty of shelter, water that can't freeze and a dry place with lots of straw and spruce branches to hide in and under, when it is cold.
    I won't say for sure that this will be fine, however. I've only had buttons since February and where as they are not exactly inside, they are under a roof and behind walls, so the temperatures might stay a little higher than outside, in the winter - and I'm not sure it has been freezing in there at all, since I got them. There might also be differences in the captive strains of button quail. Danish buttons might be more cold resistant on average than buttons from the US.
    But I wouldn't rule out buttons, just because people 'say' that they need to be inside. They are delightful little creatures, from my current experiences, I can only recommend them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  3. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    You mention a run. There isn't chicken in the run is there? Chicken will make your quail sick.

4. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Thank you for telling me this! Button quail seemed perfect but I don't want the poultry inside. Thank you again.

5. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I actually have a garden that I fenced off to keep it away for my chickens and I thought that would be perfect for them.

6. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    Is it a covered garden? Quail are excellent fliers. Its a survival instinct.

7. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    If I get quail I will be putting netting over but that was to keep out hawks. The garden doesn't have enough tree coverage to keep them safe and it will keep out cats and raccoons.

8. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Netting probably won't keep raccoons out.

9. Virus

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I don't doubt they'll get in but my two coops have been keeping them away from my chickens and duck at night so I'll get them same kind.

10. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    If I knew I had raccoons I'd have a trap set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by