Good quality galvanized waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hockeygirl56, Dec 5, 2012.

1. hockeygirl56

hockeygirl56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Allenton, MI
    I've read some of the threads on here about rusting waterers, which is my dilemma right now, and what I've found is that some are made of not the best quality and therefore don't hold up well. I bought mine when I started with my chickens in the spring of 2011, and in that short time I've found that mine is rusting out. I know I need to get a new one, but I really don't want to be spending $35-40 every 1-2 years on a new waterer. I do have a smaller plastic one that I use also, but I need the metal one for the winter as I have a base heater I set it on so the water doesn't freeze. If it wasn't for that, as well as that I like to have 2 waterers for everyone to not have to fight over getting a drink, I would just get an all-in-one heated waterer, but I feel like it's a waste to not use the base heater I already bought. Anyway...rambling aside, what I'm getting at is if there is a certain brand I should be looking for or a good place to go to for a better quality galvanized waterer so I can get it to last for a while this time! Any advice out there?

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Can you use a plastic container with the heater?

Chris

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You SHOULD be able to use a plastic fountain on the heater.
    Put a thermometer on top of it and see how hot it gets.
    I doubt it gets hot enough to melt the plastic

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by