Good roo, or just a bully

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JMidJr, Nov 30, 2011.

1. JMidJr

JMidJr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    My chickens are all about 10 weeks old; just acquired last week. They all came from the same run at the farm where I bought them; lots of pullets and cockerels getting along just fine. And everybody was doing fine here too. I'd been watching closely, knowing one of the cockerels would need to move to the second run eventually. But all was peaceful - until yesterday that is. I came home from errands to find the Dominique cockerel beat up and bleeding. I immediately separated him but too late; he didn't survive.

I can only assume the SS roo did it. Do they often get that competitive so young? Does this indicate he'll be a "good roo" looking after his flock, that he's just aggressive, something else, or nothing at all?

Well, maybe when I find some welsummer and/or Ancona pullets a cockerel will be available too. If so, you can bet he'll be in the second run from the gitgo!

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    unless you can definatively say it was the other rooster that did in the dominiker, I would think you have a predator problem (probably a domestic cat or dog), especially at ten weeks of age. Alot of times, roosters raised together never need to be separated.

IF it was the speckled sussex rooster, that bird is WAY too agressive, and does not need to pass on those traits. But in it's defense, I highly doubt a ten week old rooster killed another roo. JMHO.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    What kari_dawn said - DITTO!

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm with the last two posts.

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    x2

6. JMidJr

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    Thanks for the input; I'll keep lookout for vermin. The run is fully enclosed and whatever got in left no sign of entry/exit. Hmmm, time for a little hunting maybe. Relieved to think its not the other roo...

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Although I`ve raised gamefowl for many years and quite obsessed with them, regular barnyard types have come and gone in my yard. I`ve found that chick fights occure just as yours did, like when you`ve gone out for a couple hours. My take on this incident is that Domoniques or any popular breed are quite fragile and the SS boy may have caught him with a lucky shot. Was his neck broken? I once broke a Java neck when I caught him in a net. Just like human back problems, ya don`t have to do it hard, ys just gotta move a certain way. Certainly at that age, any killer instinct is far from developed and chick fights, even with pullets are very common. So I would look at it as a freak accident, even if the boys have been fighting. The SS may be a very competent rooster, so don`t be hard on the boy. Just my 2 cents.......Pop

8. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    How old is the Roo that you think did this? I think that it is highly unlikely that a 10 weeker would do that. You said he was bleeding do the other chickens have blood on them? Were any of the other chicks acting freaked out or cowering? where are the injuries at, head, wing, ect....
    was the other Rooster roughed up at all, seems like if they were in that vicious of a fight they other guy should have some kind of injury too.I think most likely a preditor, but freak accidents happens I guess.

9. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:That's a good point.

What kind of run do you have? Is it like chicken wire or hardware cloth? Anything with an opening larger than 1/2 inch is plenty of space for things like minks to get in, but not enough space for it to take it's kill with it. Maybe time to set up a game cam to see what you are dealing with first before deciding your next move?

10. JMidJr

Apr 7, 2011
    North Central Florida
    The run is just chicken wire; but fully enclosed including buried wire to deter digging. The ground around it is still mostly bare sand. There were no tracks of any sort near the run - no snake, rodent, weasel, dog/cat, or other terrestrial creature but me has been near the run -yet. (yes, I'm a reasonably good tracker) No bird of prey could access the run.

No others in the flock were acting unusual except that the other roo was "standing tall" nearby and watching closely. That posture and interest make me believe he's culpable (though he may have simply been excited and curious about the new experience, I guess. For now my bet is an accident of adolescent aggression.

I froze the body (knowing my schedule would keep me busy for a few days) and will do an informal/amateur necropsy tomorrow or saturday. That should clarify what happened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by