Good roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheaviance1, Nov 12, 2011.

1. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Can you describe good rooster behavior for me please? I have my first cockerels. They each have some redeeming qualities, and each have some things that they do that makes me wonder about them. I want to keep a rooster, but am having difficulty determining if any of these should be kept.

Hawkeye: Dances for his girls, is a little rough when mating, finds them treats, has never openly challenged me, but acts as though he is tempted to.
    Maverick: Dances for his girls, is very rough when mating around the other roosters, but is very gentle when alone, doesn't do the treat thing that I've seen, and has openly challenged me.
    No-name #1: Has shown no courting behavior, hasn't gotten the mating thing down yet, has never openly challenged me.
    No-name #2: Does not seem to be as mature. He acts like a chicken (by that I mean he is showing no rooster qualities)

I feel like it may be a little too early to choose one just yet.

I want to add that I am working with Maverick on the aggression. He seems to only do this when I have something red either on, or as a treat, i.e. tomatoes.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I consider a good roo, one that is good to his ladys, and is good to you.

3. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The behavior of mine changed radically from 5 months to 10 months. Initial aggression with me got tamped down pronto with training, and aggression with the ladies resolved itself with experience on the part of participants. As a newbie, I was worried for a few weeks but now love my "good roo." I don't think you say the ages of yours, but things may change.

4. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Hawkeye and Maverick are seven months old at the moment. No-name 1 & 2 are 4 months old.

That's what I am hoping for, that things will change and that I just need to be patient for a little longer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by