Good Rooster...?

Chickenfan4life

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 28, 2012
Planet No
Well, in all my experience of chickens, I have never encountered anything quite like this. This is my first thread here, and I am hoping someone can help me figure out what the hay's goin' on.

We have several roosters in our flock, and they are all different: I handled one from the day he hatched, to the day he grew up, then continued spending time with him into his adulthood. Well, he's an adult, now, and the meanest rooster ever: he will flog you if you turn your back on him, bite you if you hold him, and chase you all over the place.

The other rooster I handled/hand raised turned out the same way. However, I didn't had raise 3 roosters, and they are just wary and aloof of me, refusing to get within two feet of me, and never even attempting to flog me.

Now, when I get my breeder chickens, I don't want an aggressive rooster, so...

Should I risk hand raising my breeder roo, or just ignore him?

From what I've learned,

Friendly Chick = Bad Chick when grown, while Nervous Chick = Chick that leaves you alone when grown...

So... advice?

What breed is the male? I raise my birds with enough handling and human interaction as needed to keep them fed, healthy, and happy. Some breeds are more prone to being mean than others. It might not have anything to do with how you are raising them it might just be the breed.

Back
Top Bottom