Good roosters, bad roosters and the ugly roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicksducks1, Apr 1, 2017.

1. chicksducks1

chicksducks1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2017
    So what is everyone's opinions of roosters? What do you consider a good rooster? what do you consider a bad rooster? When buying a rooster what does everyone look for?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If you're buying a rooster, it's not easy to tell if he's a good one or may be a problem. Most of us have acquired our roosters due to them accidentally being included in a bunch of pullet chicks so we have the opportunity to observe their temperament as they mature.

There is an excellent thread on this topic with all the old timers chiming in. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144012/topic-of-the-week-roosters-yes-or-no

The criteria for choosing a good cockerel is to select for gentleness when mating hens, an automatic deference to humans by smoothly removing himself from our path as we walk toward him, and a calm demeanor overall.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Question is loaded. Define purpose for acquiring rooster. Brood stock? Management tool? Sound effects?

Always take into account general health of individuals being considered, and their flock mates. If birds adult, then watch how they behave. Dominant birds more apt to give you a true read. Subordinate birds will act differently when dominant.

My acquisitions have been for particular purposes. I scrutenized individuals and their close relatives. Birds always handled and inspected closely for signs of health issues. Seeing bird walk about unrestrained can help ID physical issues.

What appears as bad can be age dependent. Mature males give a true read as with dominant males. Immature males do not.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on your goals. Why do you want a rooster? You should look for the traits you want in a rooster.

I want my rooster for breeding purposes so his ability to fertilize eggs is important. I breed for certain colors/patterns so that becomes important. I want blue or green eggs, a rooster probably having the blue egg gene is important. I want a rooster that matures and reaches a nice butcher size at around 20 to 24 weeks so his offspring will tend that way. Others prefer to butcher earlier so they would want one that reaches butcher size earlier. Some don’t butcher so this may not matter.

Behaviors are important to me. I believe the tendency to attack people or be brutal can partially be inherited so I eliminate any that misbehave in that regard. I want a rooster that has the self-confidence and swagger to keep his ladies in line. A rooster has to earn the respect of the hens so they respect his authority. A weak wimpy rooster doesn’t have what it takes to get the hens to accept him, so he often resorts to force to have his way. I prefer a hen to squat for a rooster because of his marvelous personality instead of him having to resort to force. I think you get a much more peaceful flock that way.

Behaviors are hard to judge just by looking at one, especially if he is not the dominant one in a flock setting.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    All good advise! I always raise straight run chicks, in the breed that interests me, and watch the cockerels as they grow. Selecting one or two who have the traits I'm looking for, including temperament, and then reconsidering in spring. This keeps my flock safer from a biosecurity standpoint, and it's fun, and easier for me to know who they are. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by