Good Roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by armdchicken, Jan 16, 2012.

1. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    I am ordering some chicks online and wanted to get a roo. So my question is Which would be the best: An orloff, a turken, a sebright, or a nankin...? I would prefer this roo to be somewhat friendly (i know how hard that is to find in a roo) and wont fight with other roos (i know how hard it is to guarantee that..). Any suggestions would be helpful.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Rooster temperament in many occasions is actually dependent on his strain, not breed, so, - I say go with one less prone to being bred for egg laying (tends to produce aggressive males)

I say go with the Orloff or Turken. Orloffs especially I've not heard bad of from hatchery stock when it comes to temperament, Turkens I occasionally have but many are absolute sweethearts.

I've personally had a couple mean and kinda dumb Sebright roosters from hatchery stock, never met or heard of from Nankins though.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Out of those picks I personally would go with the turken. I have never had a mean turken.

4. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Cool...i was leaning toward the orloff or turken more but i never heard much about the nankins...I had a feeling that sebright roos werent going to be the best choice but they are pretty birds...maybe i will just get some sebright hens...

5. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    anyone know anything about nankins...?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There is a breeder of nankins on BYC from WI. Name escapes me.

But I think they are bantam... same as seabrights.

I'd go with the Orloff.

7. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    oh okay...so two people are for orloffs and two are for Turkens (or is it 1 1/2 for orloffs and 1 1/2 for turkens...) hmm....choices, choices

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Gosh, and I have two Silver Sebright roosters I need to rehome...... <*sigh*>

For what you're looking for, I'd say go for the orloffs. Unless you'd like to make arrangement to provide a home for Alex and George?

9. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    thats ok...unless they're willing to go to alaska lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  10. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    i was looking around the site and found some more that seemed like they would make good roos: A faverolle, a kraienkoppe (only because i never heard of them), a sultan or just stick with the orloffs??? TOO many to choose from [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by