Good roosters.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AAJ, Jan 29, 2012.

1. AAJ

AAJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    Does anyone know any names of good roosters for my flock of 2 easter egger, 2 buff orpington, and 2 silkie hens besides a silkie rooster.

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think all roos no matter the breed are going to have their different personalities. I have a phoenix roo and he is great. He watches the girls perfectly. I would maybe get a buff o roo, just because they are very nice looking birds, but if you want the roo to be able to mate with the silkies easily, an easter egger roo would be smaller than a buff o and larger than a silkie.

3. twisted troy

twisted troy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2010
    What do you want the rooster for chicks or protection? A big rooster will tear up your silkie or maybe not. If you want a rooster for protection, they have different personalities. I normally end up with several roosters in the spring and I watch which one/ones do what I want, the rest become chicken and dumplings.

4. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    I love my Cochin roo. He's gentle enough with my children and his ladies, but he's not afraid of a fight; he'll chase cats, squirrels, and anything else that comes into my yard that doesn't belong there. However, I have to add that Puff is my seventh rooster. It took me seven tries to get the right one, and I don't think it's type specific. Be aware that you may very well have to go through several before you find the one that works for you. I have two in my flock right now - and they didn't get names until I knew they were staying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by