Good Safe Treats For A Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, Apr 17, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I was looking for a good safe treat for my little girls because i want them extreamly tame and there my pets. Any ideas??

2. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    I gave mine some meal worms and they loved them. There were a lot of good suggestions here in another thread, but I am not sure which one it was.

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have 2-3 week old babies and they like hard boiled or scrambled eggs and bugs! LOL First, there has been a fly in their brooder but they haven't been able to catch it. So funny watching them chase it around tho! Next, a stink bug got in their brooder and unfortunately he never left! [​IMG] My one RIR ate him after being chased relentlessly for about 3 minutes by her sisters. Then a couple days later we found a stink bug and threw it in the brooder for them and the chase was on!!! [​IMG] So, this weekend we went to petsmart and bought 36 small crickets and let them loose in the brooder. [​IMG] OMG it was a piranna feeding frenzy! 30 seconds later the crickets were long gone. [​IMG] But I am very happy to provide crickets to them as a treat every once in a while! They have pecked at the sand we put in the brooder for them to dust bathe in also.

4. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    My big ladies are 7 weeks and outside. They get bananas, strawberries, mealworms, oatmeal and cooked noodles (we always make too many for spaghetti) I'm afraid to branch out too much, dont want them to have diarrhea. LOL

5. dweej

dweej Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Southwest MI
    If we start giving them treats when they're not outside ranging, should we start giving them grit as well?

6. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Check out the video of my chicks with a handfull of crickets in the brooder. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Mine love alfalfa sprouts and crumbled bread.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If we start giving them treats when they're not outside ranging, should we start giving them grit as well?

YES​

9. Marylizbet

Marylizbet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    Mine are 3-4 wks old, and I give them, dry crumbled bread, cornbread, lettuce, worms, (They like these, since they wiggle.) rice crispies that spilled on the floor. Whatever we have leftovers of. They eat it all...

10. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    I have a little patch of wheatgrass in my window - every few days i use some sissors to 'mow' it into the brooder, they love it! and the good part is the wheat grass just keeps growing back - so its renewable snacking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by