good show breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by miss heny, Oct 14, 2010.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

i am looking to choose a good show breed XD i like the rare breeds, i want a non game breed, nothing to mean, what can you guys come up with? i want bantams XD

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Seramas, D'uccles.. pretty birds.

3. miss heny

Quote:ya XD i was looking at Ameraucanas

4. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    It depends on what exactly you are looking for in a bird. I myself would refer almost any feather footed breed as a good show bird. Most feather footed bantams are naturally docile, easy to handle and care for, and very popular, and are relatively easy to find. Not to mention that they are really cool looking. Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, D'Uccles, Faverolles, Sultans, etc are all great choices.

~Casey

5. hongyush2008

hongyush2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2010
    shenzhen
    Quote:ya XD i was looking at Ameraucanas

Ya, me too...

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Mr. Ree :

It depends on what exactly you are looking for in a bird. I myself would refer almost any feather footed breed as a good show bird. Most feather footed bantams are naturally docile, easy to handle and care for, and very popular, and are relatively easy to find. Not to mention that they are really cool looking. Cochins, Silkies, Brahmas, D'Uccles, Faverolles, Sultans, etc are all great choices.

~Casey

I agree with Casey. Feather-foots are normally docile and easily handled, pretty easy show birds.

miss heny, also think of what breeds you personally like, that'll help you make a decision.​

7. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    thats exactly right Mr. Ree! I like my buckeyes because good meat birds, good layers , rare breed, heritage breed and I love their color
    thats what I want in a breed what do you want? or just for show then do you like a certain color, muffed or bearded feather footed or clean legs its all up to what you like
    good luck punky [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  8. miss heny

Quote:here what i want

rare
    doclie
    great with kids
    not mean XD
    will not fly 40 ft JK
    i would like a long tail, or feather legs, one of the 2

9. miss heny

Quote:here what i want

rare
    doclie
    great with kids
    not mean XD
    will not fly 40 ft JK
    i would like a long tail, or feather legs, one of the 2

i do like the polish XD

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    All depends on the area you live and if you want competition.

Bantam cochins and anything in the feather leg class is TOUGH competition. Also tough around here is anything in the Single Comb class of bantams and Modern games.

featherlegged birds will demand lots of conditioning prior to show to remove any broken foot feathers. Clean legged and non crested birds are much easier to show. Any bird can be tamed, even game birds, depending on how much effort you put into it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by