1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Good Show Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ConnecticutCowgirl, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ConnecticutCowgirl

ConnecticutCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    I am going to be getting chickens soon, and am looking for a good show chicken, that would also lay good eggs. [​IMG] I am looking for a "peep" that will also be very friendly. I've heard of Silkies... I would like something a little more exotic.

Thanks a Bunch,
    C.T. Cowgirl

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    silkie can be harder to show then other breeds because of their high maitness. heres wat a judge told me once "the best show breeds for begainers are brown with clean legs" that way you dont have to worry about feet feathers and their brown so you dont have to worry about yellowing of white birds and dirty spots arnt as noticable

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    white birds always have best type

4. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    I showed my Black Australorp....sweet as can be, did great in the show(champion english, Res. Champion Large Fowl, Best Australorp) , and is a great layer!!! I don't know if they are very exoctic though.....blue laced red wyandottes are a different color and are soo sweet and they aren't recognized by the American Poultry Assoctiation but you can sometimes still show them. Or you could even go with Americuanas, they lay green or blue eggs and have fluffy beards and tuffs and come in a variety of colors, I'm sure they would do good in shows too. Another great exoctic breed would be a sicilian buttercup, they lay well, and are just gorgeous and are very unique. I probably didn't narrow down the list of hundreds of chicken breeds because i just told you about 4 awesome breeds and there are plenty more awesome ones out there [​IMG]

5. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:ya but if she want a easier bird to show im just saying whites are harder but i agree

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:ya but if she want a easier bird to show im just saying whites are harder but i agree

if ur birds have lots of room and cages are kept clean is not so bad i didnt want white at first now i love white

7. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI

if ur birds have lots of room and cages are kept clean is not so bad i didnt want white at first now i love white

i love splash even thoe i dont own any yet...but i will [​IMG]

8. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:That's not always true. Let's put it this way: At the Crossroads, Champion Mediterranean was a Dark Brown Leghorn, beating out the Whites.
    Mitch

9. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    he means that out of breeds with many color options. whites tend to have the best type because you can breed a good white to another good bird of a different color and still get good white off spring, which you cant do with other colors because there can be leakage. like you cant breed brown to black or blue to brown cause youd get funkey colors. plus in silkies the white color is ALOT better then most other color silkies because of the breeding thing, which most breed are like that. thats why whites tend to have better type

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  10. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:Hi Silkielover5,
    I fully understand what Chickendales' post meant, but he did say "white birds always have the best type." If this was true then you'd only see White birds winning, but you don't.

White birds are easier because you only have to focus on type, not color. That makes them easier to "perfect." But I hear they are difficult to get real clean, seeing as anything in white will stand out.

It doesn't have anything to do with crossing colors (in this case).
    Mitch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by