Good sign?

duck4u

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
I've finally seen my ducklings preen their oil glands and than rub their hands around they're oil glands and than the rest of the body, mostly under the wings and neck area.
Is that a sign that their oil glands are working?
I've been putting them in fresh warm water for the pass 14 days since.

I've finally seen my ducklings preen their oil glands and than rub their hands around they're oil glands and than the rest of the body, mostly under the wings and neck area.
Is that a sign that their oil glands are working?
I've been putting them in fresh warm water for the pass 14 days since.
Yes sounds like things are working.
smile.png

But their feathers still get soak and wet and only a few areas of the body (around the wings, neck, and eyes and base of the tail) seem immune to water.
It does get wet after awhile though

I do not believe oil glands become fully functional for quite some time. Therefore, Ducklings will not be 100% waterproof until they have their adult feathers. That is why I donot allow swimming before feathering. But, in Nature, momma duck does share her own waterproofing to her ducklings. Duck4u, when my ducklings' feathers first started growing in, first I noticed the tail, then the high spots on the wings, so perhaps you are seeing feathers coming in. I hope you are seeing healthy ducklings preening.

Back
Top Bottom