Good Sized Flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ponygal12, Dec 9, 2009.

1. ponygal12

ponygal12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm stuck! [​IMG] I'm just wondering how many chickens would be in a small but good sized flock? I was set on getting 12 chicks. But then I heard that 6 chicks are better because you can get to know them more. What do think? I'm looking to stick with a smaller flock......Help? [​IMG]

2. accio! chickens

accio! chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    CANADA
    I have 19 hens. We're not on a first name basis except with the 5 EE hens and a couple of the Red Hens (Like Baldy Hen, who for some reason is completely bald on her head lol).

3. Renee'

Renee' Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Well what's you purpose here? Pets or eggs, or??? If eggs, how many per week?? [​IMG]

4. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    I have six, and i love them.

I would get 2 barred rocks, 2 black australorps, and two rhode island reds.

5. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    My purpose would mainly be for the pets. I don't like saying that though, because chickens aren't exactly pets. Let's just say for company and some eggs.

6. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:My friend has 12 chickens and has a hard time keeping track of them. So maybe 6 would be better.....

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    One thing to consider: how many eggs will you realistically use yourself, and how many do you think you have an easy outlet for elsewhere (giving away or selling) at whatever level of work/aggravation you are willing to get into.

A thing I didn't really anticipate well enough when I went from a dozen or so chickens to two dozen was that you sometimes get A LOT OF EGGS. (Even one dozen chickens is more eggs than our family can use, and we do eat egg-based dinners a couple times a week and so forth). For both philosophical and laziness reasons I prefer to give away rather than sell the excess (although when people want to contribute to feed costs I don't say no) but honestly it would take some actual work to "find homes for" the eggs from any larger flock than I have now.

If you are entrepreneurial or know lotsa people wanting free home-raised eggs, that's not an issue, but otherwise it is something to think about [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

8. ponygal12

Nov 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone for your input! You've made some points I hadn't even considered.

Another question,

Is it okay to get a few different breeds of chickens? Say like 2 Barred Rocks, 2 RIR, and 2 New Hampshire Reds? (As you can see, I'm brand new to the chicken world! [​IMG])

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. Renee'

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My chickens serve the same purpose as you intend for yours. There is only my husband and me at home. We have 7 hens and 1 rooster and more eggs than we can use. My girls, and boy, are all friendly and individually identifiable. So ya may just want to try a half dozen because your idea of 12 chickens means lots of food and lots of eggs! Good luck to you. I just started raising chickens this year. They good pets and also a source of entertainment! [​IMG] PS My brahmas are the friendliest of the flock.

10. Renee'

Feb 8, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Quote:I think most people here would agree that a collage is a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by