1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Good SLW genes to pass on? **pics**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by noodleroo, Jul 19, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Here's some pics of one of my peanuts that we're considering keeping for the girls at the bay. Just a hatchery peanut but I think he's pretty...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    He is handsome, but IMHO he doesn't have "strong" lacing... It should be white in the center with black around the edges... I'm a newbie though too. [​IMG]

See mine's lacing?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2010
  3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    PureSnowChic; I should have mentioned that he's only 10 wks old. Started crowing at 8 wks. It still sounds pathetic. I like the way his comb and wattles look. I have 10 roos going to freezer camp in a couple months but I think we'll keep him. I didn't tame him on purpose. I need at least one chicken that doesn't think every animal and person was put on earth to snuggle with them! LOL

(edited because I forgot to tell you how pretty yours are!)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Crowing

Jun 19, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wow he's only 10 weeks! I thought it was a full grown hen... lol... silly me! He is handsome! [​IMG] Mine have looked the same since they got their first feathers... haven't changed much, just gotten bigger. [​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, he's not a good example of a SLW.....not nearly enough lacing. Here's a picture of one of mine at probably about the same age and the last picture is one of my roos when he was younger.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Katy; OMG! Those are so beautiful!!! I see what you mean.... I still love my little roo, but just for his personality....

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thank you. There is no reason your roo can't be a good roo for your girls.....he just doesn't look like a SLW should.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: