Good source for dual purpose Dorkings?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by triplepurpose, Nov 2, 2010.

1. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Hey, I've kept dual purpose chickens for years, but I want to start actually breeding one or two of the rarer dual purpose heritage breeds and sustain my own small flock. I'm interested in Dorkings, but they are so rare that they are apparently difficult to find. Also it seems that many breed them for showing or novelty, etc., whereas I am interested in finding the "real deal": a strain that will make for truly solid old fashioned dual-purpose birds--as well as beautiful and historically valuable ones. Color/comb varieties are really not important to me, I think they're all lovely.

Part of my issue is that I live in Hawaii, which is in the middle of the biggest ocean in the world, and I don't know of anyone in the state, much less my island, who has Dorkings, (or even knows what they are).

We have in the past ordered from Murray McMurray, who sell Silver Grays. They've told me theirs are indeed a dual purpose strain with good broodiness. Does anyone have any experience with their birds? Or with another hatchery? Sand Hill looks cool, but as of today they haven't responded to my query as to whether they even ship to Hawaii. McMurray has always done great by us, but I'm not opposed to shopping around a little...

I have some other breeds in mind as well that I have experience with and like a lot (Brahmas, Sussex), and the Faverolles looks interesting too, but the Dorking especially intrigues me.

Thanks a lot for any leads![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. AllCoop'dUp

AllCoop'dUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Creswell, Oregon
    I have 2 Silver Greys I got from the farm store, not sure which hatchery they came from. Both are pictured in my avator. The rooster is pretty mellow and laid back and the hen is too. I got them in April, she started laying in August, 3 weeks later she went broody, I kicked her off the nest and she hasn't laid an egg since. Don't know what's up with that!! I have 7 hens at laying age that aren't laying. Very frustrating!!

3. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    I've heard that Dorkings are famous for being good broodies. Which I guess means that they sometimes go broody A LOT. Maybe it depends on the strain, too? It's a fine line for me, because I really WANT some broody hens, to hatch eggs and raise chicks--but I also need eggs to EAT (and help pay for the feed!) [​IMG]

I've heard Dorkings are pretty mellow like you say, which is part of the reason I'm considering them: I'm tired of dealing with flighty, nutty birds like Dark Cornish and Rhodies and Leghorns and so on--from now on it'll be the likes of Brahmas or Sussex or Dorkings or maybe even faverolles. Tired of all hell breaking loose every time somebody needs their wing clipped or what have you... [​IMG]

I had a friend who had some pullets that didn't lay until they were seven months old or more (not dorkings, but RI x leghorn, I think), and then they were fine. No idea why. I've never had this happen, but apparently sometimes it does... Not that that helps you much... [​IMG]

4. triplepurpose

Oct 13, 2008
    Pretty birds in the profile pic, BTW. Yours, I assume?
    Oh, duh, you already said so in the post...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by