Good start up breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by naserman, Oct 18, 2013.

1. naserman

naserman New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Looking to begin to raise some chickens (as many as a dozen) predominately for eggs (some good fried chicken wouldnt offend me) for me and my neighbors. Live in Atl. GA. and want my grandbabies to understand where food comes from. I have plenty of room on five acres.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Breeds of chicken known for extreme egg production are Leghorns and Red or Black Sex-links. Breeds which won't lay quite as many eggs as the previous birds, but will be heavier and more docile (and generally prettier) include: Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps, Sussex, New Hampshries, and Orpingtons.

The best breed for meat production (if you decided to do that, too) is the Cornish X hybrid. Those birds don't lay any eggs at all (they don't live long enough), but they are meat machines. In about 8 weeks, little yellow Cornish X chicks turn into 5+ pound meat birds.

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    [​IMG]

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Quote: Hi, [​IMG]
    Come on over to the Heritage Large Fowl thread on BYC. It's a wonderful place to find info and help selecting a Heritage breed and assistance finding a breeder who has high quality birds. There are several breeders from your State there. Teachers, breeders and judges, some with over 1/2 century in poultry willing to help and teach. Currently we are mourning the sudden passing of our thread author and mentor Bob Blosl . He was a wonderful sharing teacher. There are many poultry folk there ready and willing to help you get started with quality stock. Here is the URL:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/15800#post_12187105
    Looking forward to seeing you on that great teaching thread.
    Best Regards,
    Karen in western PA, USA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by