Good Store Bought Hutch/Cage for Bantams

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laughaha, Jul 31, 2010.

1. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    DH is working alot of hours now and I really need some breeding pens for Bantams that look nice. I can build stuff but it won't look nice and none will look like each other. I am looking for fairly inexpensive commercial chicken pens or rabbit hutches or tractors that will be big enough for pairs/trios of bantams during breeding season and last more than a year. Please HELP [​IMG]

2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've had good luck finding stuff off Craigslist. [​IMG]

3. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    I've been searching all the craigslists within 50 miles of my house and I'm not finding nothing except tractors and goats and dogs [​IMG]

4. laughaha

May 5, 2010
    Are there really no good coops that can be bought at stores for a decent price?

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

store bought coops and cages are expensive to buy - but cheaply made. Only 'rabbit hutches' i've seen you buy in feed stores or petstores are cheaply made and run 150+ dollars and aren't big at all and have 2X2 or 2X4 welded wire on the fronts - which means you'll still have to alter them afterwards.

Building a rabbit hutch is pretty simple, my friend built large hutches 6' X 2.5X2' hardware cloth bottom and sides - 1/3 of cage inclosed with a door rest open on 3 sides - plyboard on top and either shingles or corrugated roofing and spent about 40$ on each one - and would turn around and sell them for 150$...

Have you looked up plans to build one? They are just really framing - which you can get 1X4s or 2X2s, or 2X4's cut to size at a Lowes when you buy the lumber...whicher you plan to use. and then 1 sheet of 1/2" plyboard...

If you feel you can't build one - get one from a feedstore and get a rabbit hutch. or a dog house and 'puppy pen' and stake the puppy pen into the ground and ziptie hardware cloth to it and netting on the top. Coops pre-fabricated run 300+ dollars and ones I've seen and 1 i've owned didn't even last a year. so waste of money.

Good luck.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I've got 2 store bought hutches and they are crap! Even after being painted they have warped to the point the side aren't even.

Shoot me your email addy in PM. I think I've got a set of small Ark plans that would work for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by